Reddsky1

I am starting to prep the wing skins and need sugg. as to how other builders have tapered the overlap edges of the top skins. Do you just sand them to a taper or use some type of grinder? Any help?

I didn't do anything. The skin is so thin it lays flush as it is (and cleanly cut from the factory). It's so hard to get a perfectly even/straight edge trying to taper it that the risk of screwing and making it look terrible was way WAY beyond any benefit in my mind. I doubt anyone but the most eagle eye'd builder would even notice if you did a nice job of it. Do a bad job and it'll stand out from a mile away.

Last edited:
I just tapered the overlap points using a grinder w/220 sandpaper discs where the skins meet the fuel tanks per the instructions. Then buffed them out a bit with a fine ScotchBrite pad. I left the rest as is other than using the edge roller to help minimize the kickup during riveting.

Last edited:
1" scotch brite

I bought the small scotch brite wheels from Harbor Freight, they attach to a matching mandrel. I used it to taper skin on the bottom so the skin on time would match the seal of the tank. Worked real good.

More than looks and aerodynamics, I wanted it smooth so when washing it was not alway catching the rag. Of course there will be places this happens but I have control over this one.

Cheers

File

Here's the best method I found for doing the scarf joints. Use a scrap piece of aluminum under the end of the file. This helps control the material removal so only the leading edge of the skin gets thinned:

20070324-01-tn.jpg

Note this file is very coarse (vixen file) so the teeth don't get clogged up as quickly.

I used the small 2" 3M Roloc abrasive disc pads for sanding. These can be chucked into an air die grinder from Harbor Freight. Easy to control with some medium grit sanding pads and you can easily get the skins to taper down as the plans suggest.

IMG_0230_1_1.JPG

qc-ao.jpg