Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Guys, as I have mentioned before, I am ordering sheet for single piece top skins. However, I will have the 'stock' overlapping lower skins. My skins are not prepunched, which isn't a big deal. Here is my question: What is the skin overlap amount? I cannot find it on the drawings, but it appears to be 1.25 or 1.5". I am asking because it appears that the skins extend slightly beyond the inboard rib for fusemate, and per the drawing, 1/2" beyond the outboard ribs to match the leading edge skin for the wingtip attachment. I need to figure out how long (exactly) to cut my singlepiece top skin. I know the dimensions of both inboard and outboard top skins, so it would appear that I need about 112".

Is it listed on a drawing and I am just not seeing it?

Thanks,

Gregg

Skin

Hi Greg

Total length of my combined lower wing skins is 111 11/16. The over lap is 1.5 inches.

If I were you I would just use this as a guide. What I would do in your case is measure from the inboard rib to the tip rib, then add 1/2 an inch for the wing tip to sit in. Bear in mind that your ribs wont be perfectly straight and may not be square to the spar so this is chance to square things up a bit.

I any case measure in several places along the rib length, then work to the maximum length you get plus 1/2 for the tip.

Good luck

Overhang

Hi Greg

Total length of my combined lower wing skins is 111 11/16. The over lap is 1.5 inches.

If I were you I would just use this as a guide. What I would do in your case is measure from the inboard rib to the tip rib, then add 1/2 an inch for the wing tip to sit in. Bear in mind that your ribs wont be perfectly straight and may not be square to the spar so this is chance to square things up a bit.

I any case measure in several places along the rib length, then work to the maximum length you get plus 1/2 for the tip.

Good luck

The -7 kits went to a larger dimension here. Fudging the skin tip overhang a little bit more will make later installation of the tips a bit easier - especially if you go the nutplate route.

wing skin length

Gil, I was thinking the same thing. I AM going to go the nutplate route so I can remove the tips later on. I think I will shear them a hair over 112" and leave a bit extra on the tip, and take what I get on the inboard end. I can always remove/file the extra later.

Thanks,

Gregg

Can someone with a RV-7 or RV-8 give us the actual dimension of the overhang on the newer wings?

The new plans don't give actual dimensions for pre-punched parts...:)