dbuds2

Well Known Member
Is it recommended to pre bend the edges of the wing skins where they rest on the main spar? I plan to use the vice grip edge rolling tool where the outside skins rest on top of the inside wing skins. Then it occured to me should the skins (and tank/leadingedge) been rolled where they mate to each other and lay on the main spar?

Also, is it recommended to proseal the T708 tank sending unit cover and the cork gasket to the T703 rib. THere is a tooling hole at the very aft end of the T703 inboard rib that is just covered by the T407 tank ring. How is this best sealed and to not interfer with the T708 cover?

dbuds2 said:
Is it recommended to pre bend the edges of the wing skins where they rest on the main spar? I plan to use the vice grip edge rolling tool where the outside skins rest on top of the inside wing skins. Then it occured to me should the skins (and tank/leadingedge) been rolled where they mate to each other and lay on the main spar?
I did this and am really glad I did. It made for really nice flat joints. Just remember to do all of this before you dimple the skins on the tanks.

Lap Joint Wing Skins

Thanks for your input, I've been practicing on scrap material. When you were done, could you see any line where the slight crimp was formed? ;)

dbuds2 said:
Thanks for your input, I've been practicing on scrap material. When you were done, could you see any line where the slight crimp was formed? ;)
Yes, it scuffs the surface very slightly sometimes, but it will either polish out or be painted over. If you back off the adjustment screw a little it won't scuff it as much. Good luck.