Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
Right wing is clecoed up and I have a 1/32" gap from root to tip between my fuel tank/leading edge sub-assemblies and the main wing top skins. The gap between the tank an leading edge at the splice plate is even less, probably 1/64". Normal or do I need to take action? I hope normal because the problem seems over constrained. I don't see what I could do to close the gap. There are clecos EVERYWHERE and all the holes lined up no problem. My concern is that I haven't deburred the edges yet so any gap now might only get larger after the cleaning up the edges.
IMG_4345-L.jpg

IMG_4346-L.jpg

Normal.
You may find as you rivet the skins the gap will lessen. Do a search and you will find quite a few discussions.
It is nothing to worry about.

I had the same gap and I think a contributing factor is how rough the edges were from the shears used at the factory and the amount removed to smooth them. I?ve noticed a lot of the parts on my current project have significantly rougher edges than the other kits I was building years ago.

When I look at all the gaps, bulges and other imperfections of the multi-million dollar planes I fly at work it makes me feel better though!