jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I was riveting the bottom skins on my 10 today and one of the squares (areas surrounded by rivets) seems to bow out near the main spar. None of the other squares have any issue like this at all. Is there any way to "fix" this or does this just happen sometimes?

I was thinking of removing the rivets connecting the skin to the spar and see if the skin settles down and then re-rivet?

any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Not an answer but may make you feel better

John,
I can tell that I have a section like that on one wing of my RV-7A.
If you push on it it will "oil can".
It bugged the heck out of me. Now when I'm cleaning the belly I look at both wings until I find that section that bugged me so much and laugh out loud for worrying about it so much!

Mark

I had the same issue when I clecoed the bottom skin of my (7) wing before rivet it. I noticed a discrete amount of oil canning on the 2 most outer bays. I contacted Gus at Van's that told me to check for the correct bent of the rib's flanges but assured me it was just a cosmetic issue. Another solution was to gluing or riveting an angle stiffner (like we do inside the elvators and ailerons) between the ribs in the affected area. Fortunately I solved with just a minor correction of rib flanges bent and, once riveted, the skin was tight like a drum.
Hope this helps.

Mine are bowing the oppisite way, it is not slack between the two ribs, but rather like the skin was to long top to bottom so I get a longitudinal bow between the j-stiffener and the main spar.

My bottom skins required a bit of filing on the forward edge in order to fit well.
-Andy