RickWoodall

Well Known Member
My plane is painted, i have to go put it back together and i have brand new rubber weatherstrips to glue on. Just dont want to make a mess. What are all of you doing to secure the ends and is it holding up well?

I do have the fancy 3m weatherstrip yellow goop but was not really happy with it the first time around. Should it adhere just fine to the finished paint?

Any words of wisdom?

Last edited:
adhesive

The 3M adhesive comes in black too and both hold very well. Once you learn how to apply it, it is hard to beat. Get comfortable with everything in front of you on the workbench and open the weatherstripping and insert the tip of the tube in the slot. With a relatively small hole in the tube spout, squeeze the adhesive in half of the weatherstripping and immediately apply it to the fairing. Let it dry. Once dry, do the other half and let it dry. It's good stuff. Good luck.

I agree

I flew without it at first and at modest speeds it was OK that way but at higher speeds during pull ups after a finish line for example, if it isn't glued down it will pull out and beat on the plane like a drum. I used 3M yellow after the second or third occurrence and no problem since. Think of contact cement and not regular glue when using it. Paint is not a problem.

Bob Axsom

Clthes pins

We initially used clamps and pieces of scrap Al to apply pressure while the glue dried. Eventually bought 100 clothes pins to make sure we got a good seal. No issues
Phelps

I am with Dan....PlioBond!

I was introduced to it when I was taught to recover Cubs about four decades ago, so it smells like history to me..... called out by name in many of hte better maintenance manuals through the years!

No glue needed

On my past 3 RV's, I have found that if the 1/8" spacing between the wing root fairing and the fuselage is maintained, the supplied rubber insert will not come loose even at around 4 g's. If this space is larger, you will need glue.

Additional Pliobond benefits

Pliobond has other uses, too. If you're a fly-tier, pliobond can also be used to reinforce wings tied from turkey, duck, and other primary flight feathers making them much less fragile.

The yellow glue others use is just plain nasty to work with, in my opinion. I put a door seal on my Cherokee with it 8 or 9 years ago and most of it has finally worn on my hands and arms where it inadvertently ended up. The door seal is doing fine.

I gotta go along with WOODMAN here. My -6 has been flying for 19 years with no glue and the strip stays in place just fine.

I only glue the little tail on the bottom that doesn't really have anything to retain it - and when it comes loose, it sounds like you've thrown a rod (or something)!

No glue on mine and no issues. Just had them off for condition inspection and the rubber retains it's memory and goes right back into place with a bit of coaxing.

No glue camp for me too. With the fairing trimmed 1/8 from the fuselage it stays in place just fine.

???

On the -10, there are no rubber strips. The fairing is just tight, up against the fuselage.

Fairingseal.jpg

Can the other RV's not be fitted this way?

Best,

Last edited: