xblueh2o

Well Known Member
How much?
Here is why I ask. I am installing conduit in my QB wings and not using the Van's black corrugated stuff. The stuff I have does fit nicely through a -10 snap bushing which works out for the allowable 3/4" hole. Problem is that it doesn't hold it super securely and so it will be possible for the conduit to slide side to side. Simple enough, put a cushion clamp on the ends and that will prevent it from moving. Easy. My question is how much room do I have at the wing root. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and build up a clamping system that prevents me from bolting the wings on. Just my rough measurements in the hangar says I only have about 1.5 inches and I am trying to confirm that is true. Perfect world I would like to clamp it at both ends but clamping it mid wing through the various inspection panels is also an option.

Just drill a small hole anywhere and insert a very small cotter pin. Takes up minimal space. Doesn't have to be done at the ends. One on either side of a rib will work.

You guess is good - an inch and a half on an RV-6, for example. I used the riser tubes for water heater tanks available at your local hardware store. They are very light, the right diameter and the end can be expanded so the one can slide into another. To stabilize, I was going to use clamps but with the tubes flared at on end, it was not necessary. I will put a dab of silicon caulking on the ribs you can reach in the QB wings to keep vibration impact to a minimum.

Tie wrap

Punch a hole in the end and put a tie wrap through it that will prevent it pulling through the bushing.

clearance

If you cut the conduit off right at the clamp you should not have a problem. you might try installing the clamps on the adjoining inner rib rather than the outside one as well...

It sounds like you are asking how much horizontal room is there between the inner wing rib and the fuselage. Correct?

If so, this varies according to how far forward the tubing is installed as the distance widens from front to back. There should be plenty of room for an adel clamp anywhere, but, once the wing is installed, you will have trouble accessing it forward of the wing spar and it is a bit tight aft of the wing spar for the first foot or 18".

-John

How much?
Here is why I ask. I am installing conduit in my QB wings and not using the Van's black corrugated stuff. The stuff I have does fit nicely through a -10 snap bushing which works out for the allowable 3/4" hole. Problem is that it doesn't hold it super securely and so it will be possible for the conduit to slide side to side. Simple enough, put a cushion clamp on the ends and that will prevent it from moving. Easy. My question is how much room do I have at the wing root. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and build up a clamping system that prevents me from bolting the wings on. Just my rough measurements in the hangar says I only have about 1.5 inches and I am trying to confirm that is true. Perfect world I would like to clamp it at both ends but clamping it mid wing through the various inspection panels is also an option.

It sounds like you are asking how much horizontal room is there between the inner wing rib and the fuselage. Correct?

If so, this varies according to how far forward the tubing is installed as the distance widens from front to back. There should be plenty of room for an adel clamp anywhere, but, once the wing is installed, you will have trouble accessing it forward of the wing spar and it is a bit tight aft of the wing spar for the first foot or 18".

-John

Correct. That is the kind of intel I was after.
Big thanks to all for your input and suggestions. I have a free day tomorrow so will spend some time looking at the various options. I am trying to design/build in maintainability as I go.