yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I've reached the point where the next plans step is to instal the wing root seal strip. However, the instructions say not to do this if the fuselage hasn't been painted yet. What have you guys who flew before painting done-- installed the strip and masked for painting, istalled the strip then pulled it off and replaced after painting, or flown without the seal strip (doesn't sound like a good idea!)/

Thanks!

Wayne 120241

You can fly with no seal, no problem. A little drafty near the spar opening, but not bad even in cold weather. I will be adding seals after paint in a week or so.

Last edited:
Do NOT install unless final paint is complete and the temperatures are high. Wait for summer!! The strip does not give enough to insert the wing without resorting to a special tool. Ask John!! Tried to compress the seal when the temp was 45 degF. No go. Flying without the strip is no problem.

I've reached the point where the next plans step is to instal the wing root seal strip. However, the instructions say not to do this if the fuselage hasn't been painted yet. What have you guys who flew before painting done-- installed the strip and masked for painting, istalled the strip then pulled it off and replaced after painting, or flown without the seal strip (doesn't sound like a good idea!)/

Thanks!

Wayne 120241

I would not recommend flying without the root seal in place. A friend of mine had his RV7 plane painted, the seal was damaged when removed and the painter reassembled it without the seal. During an approach to stall during the post assembly test flight he experienced a violent buffeting on from the tail area. He stated that he thought the tail was coming off. Reinstalling the seal solved the problem. Don't underestimate the affect on flying qualities a seeming small detail can have!

Doug
RV6

Last edited:
RV-12 and wing root seal

It does not sound like leaving the seal off the RV-12 causes any problems. Several builders have put a fair number of hours on theirs without a seal and without problems. The plans also suggest leaving it off until after painting.