yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Having read all the posts about getting the wings to fit after installing the seal it seems to me that you could mark where the skin contacts the seal and make a slice 1/8 or so deep in the eal so the skin can actually slip into the seal. has anyone tried this?

Wayne 120241/143WM

I would suggest not doing this. The seal strip helps with any misalignment of the forward and aft spar pockets.

Having read all the posts about getting the wings to fit after installing the seal it seems to me that you could mark where the skin contacts the seal and make a slice 1/8 or so deep in the eal so the skin can actually slip into the seal. has anyone tried this?

Wayne 120241/143WM

Wayne,

I just put mine on 85 hours later (i was waiting for a nice hot day). It was no big deal because it was so soft. The wings went right back in. It was in the mid 90's here today.

Groove works

I did the groove thing on mine and it works fine. It takes a little bit of care to get the groove right where you want it, but when you're done the skin slips in and looks like it was meant for it.

Gopher it.

I did the groove thing on mine and it works fine. It takes a little bit of care to get the groove right where you want it, but when you're done the skin slips in and looks like it was meant for it.

Gopher it.

Grooving it is NOT in the plans. Maybe the strip helps aerodynamically and structurally.

Wing root seal

Like Marty said, the wing root seal could help structurally by eliminating any play due to imprecise mating of wing to fuselage parts. Did you read the humorous posting by sportkid about using tie-downs to pull the wing into position?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47846&highlight=downs
I have not tried it, but it sounds like those ratcheting nylon straps make an easy job of pulling the wing into position. They are designed for securing loads on a truck or trailer and are available in most hardware stores.
Joe