SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
I was thinking how easy it would be to build the landing lights into the wing root fairings. Short wire runs, easy to install in the detachable fairing etc.
A little flow disruption here wouldn't be a problem, RV-8's already get a little turbulence at the wing root at high angles of attack presumably because the landing gear is just ahead and below.
I wonder what the negatives are?

My first concerns would be high current connections very close to and enclosed within close proximity to several fuel connections.

Also 90? blanking of each light by the fuselage yielding virtually no light directly ahead of the airplane.

Just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

But that's just my $.02.

My first concerns would be high current connections very close to and enclosed within close proximity to several fuel connections.

Also 90? blanking of each light by the fuselage yielding virtually no light directly ahead of the airplane.

Just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

But that's just my $.02.

I agree with Mel. We have wing root fairing landing lights on the 757 but they are only good for lighting the sides of the runway. Without our nose gear landing light we would have a fairly large dark spot!

Another possible issue would be having a light shining thru a visible portion of the prop rotation?

Those all sound like good reasons.
I have VANs flush wing tip kit in the 'Old style RV-4,6,8 tips'. I was going to install the landing lights in there, in fact I already have the wire run. I'm using the Killacycle LED position lights with the round hole in the middle for an MR16 size landing light. Plus I have a strobe tube in there near the front.
That is a tight fit, and a lot of heat. Not everyone has reported satisfaction with landing lights in these tips.
I know the Duckworks light is popular, I have a similar light on the right wing of my T-18. But it needs to be made perfectly or that wing will fly different?
That wing light changed the leading edge profile (thicker) so the thinner left wing (without the light) always stalls first.
So I'm casting about for other ideas while I 'play through' to complete the plane and get it inspected.

Scott,

I have flown with the wingtip flush mounts on the -8 for years - we put the Duckworks in the -3, and I am convinced - the Duckworks provide a great lighting location, are easy to install, and are adaptable to any light you want to use. I'll use them again.

I know the Duckworks light is popular, I have a similar light on the right wing of my T-18. But it needs to be made perfectly or that wing will fly different?

The Duckworks lens fits inside the wing cutout with the result being a nearly flush lens and no changes to aerodynamics. The lens is manufactured so it follows the contour of the leading edge. Easy to install, and works as advertised.