Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Can the 12 be flown without the wing root foam? Would like to fly awhile before painting and I was told the foam is a B*#$% to remove.

I bought some rubber U-channel and put it on the wing instead of foam on the fuselage. Will probably go back to foam if/when we repaint, but it's working fine.

Can the 12 be flown without the wing root foam? Would like to fly awhile before painting and I was told the foam is a B*#$% to remove.

I haven't tried it with nothing, but during flight testing I was using electrical tape to seal the gap, so that is an option. You just have to avoid stretching the tape at all during installation.

I flew mine without the foam prior to painting and only noticed a little more ventilation.

Mitch G.

I've been using rubber U-channel

for 7 years. I think it was a Beechcraft door seal. Works great.

Wayne 120241/N143WM

Love the tape idea as it is winter her in Pa and I am sure I will be flying in cold weather prior to painting

Thanks everyone!

This works well - -

29yob5y.jpg

I put this on several years ago. RTV about every 6" on inside. Can remove easy.

Foam in the wing root? Is that something new?

Edit: Oh I get it now. The foam weatherstripping tape. Thought you were referring to something else.

Last edited:
I did not install mine until it was painted. Six months of flying without a problem. I didn't notice a difference with it off or on.