dbaflyer

Well Known Member
In this document it says the tooling holes may be drilled to 5/8". http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf

Here is a picture of a W911L rib which shows two holes to the left of the first large lightening hole. I am thinking the top hole will remain as is and receive a bushing and could be used to run the pitot plumbing. The bottom hole as per the Van's document could be enlarged to 5/8" to receive another snap bushing for additional wiring. I've already made the 3/4" hole for the conduit, but was wondering about these two other holes.
WingRibsConduitHole4.jpg

you can use these holes for the pitot/aoa lines. i think the lower one is just a tooling hole the punch press needs. to keep costs down all the ribs are the same, so also the outboard ribs have them but it's not needed to put anything in it. it's easy to drill them and to put in whatever you want much later. don't worry...

Kay

Last edited:
Just FYI, the safeair tubing lines for pitot and static can take a smaller size snap bushing than the 5/8" hole, and you only need to drill out the ribs inboard of the pitot tube on the left wing.

All very good information and I appreciate this site very much. What's not totally clear is what tubing/wiring/coax might be run in the same space and not cause any issues such as RF noise. Bill, you used the two holes at the very aft of the rib for pitot/aoa. Did you run all other wiring through your conduit? The other question is it acceptable to enlarge that one hole far aft to 5/8 for a larger bushing and run AOA and other wiring through it?

Last edited: