CFI1513840

Well Known Member
Just started on the wing ribs?flute a little here, flange a little there, I understand the theory. Why is it that one pesky little corner always sticks up? Everything else is nice and flat. Apply a little adjustment, maybe slightly flatten a few flutes and slightly flute a few flanges in just the right places, now the other corner sticks up. Finally in desperation, grasp rib in both hands and gently apply corrective torque. Voila! Rib lays flat, flanges perfectly set at 90 degrees, deburred, fluted, flanged and ready for priming. Four down and nine hundred to go (ok, I?m exaggerating a little). Break is over, back to the ribs.

Ken

Its certainly the most repetative that I've been through. Although you may be taking it a little too far. With the cutout for the skin stiffener, the ribs will flex a bit. As long as you can put a straightedge across the center of all the holes you should be good.

Of course me being a 9A builder, I got a couple of extra ribs.

In no way do you need to waste time making the ribs perfect. Get the flanges to approximately 90 degrees and flute till basically flat. Then move on to the next. You can debur the edges with the S/B wheel quick too. The hole deburring will come later on.

Darrell

Well, depending on EXACTLY how you want your wing to look, you'll want to pay special attention to the leading edge ribs. RVs are notorious for having a little "bump" in the skin from the nose portion. You can, depending on how much time you want to spend on this -- and how much you give a rip -- massage this area little bit.

Thanks everyone, for the advice and encouragement. I realize some processes are tedious and repetitive, but I chose the slow-build kit because I wanted to be involved every step of the way. I'll press on and look forward to the day when, like Bob, I'm nutplating the baggage compartment. Better still, I'll look forward to the day that I'm loading the baggage compartment for a trip to OSH. In the meantime, I may resort to whinging from time to time just to ease the pain.

Ken

CJ,

Oh yes, the TANKS. Thanks for reminding me. Actually, I've been thinking about the TANKS. It's like thinking about a root canal. I've got a feeling I could wind up like Brer Rabbit.

Ken

Smooth sailing

Bob Collins said:
This is the worst part of the project, Ken. After this, it's smooth sailing!

WRONG ANSWER!!! My personal order of BS factor with a factor of 10.

1) Canopy
2) Baffling
3) Wiring

You're right though, probably the most tedious part of the wings.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

CFI1513840 said:
CJ,

Oh yes, the TANKS. Thanks for reminding me. Actually, I've been thinking about the TANKS. It's like thinking about a root canal. I've got a feeling I could wind up like Brer Rabbit.

Ken
Most overblown part of the whole project (at least for me....so far)

Bob, I have yet to complete the tanx...

But, it really ain't THAT bad! You are right, It is "overblown".

I am still going to take my sweet assed time on them though!

I am now doing the plumbing on them. It is being complicated by the fact I am installing my return lines now. It is a custom thing, but I feel as though I need it.

If it is all down hill from here, I am sitting pretty!

I know there is still lotsa head scratching left though!

:rolleyes: CJ