yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Did any of you who are far ahead of me ask Van's why many of the main ribs and nose ribs on the left wing have flanges that are riveted to the wing spar (with LP4-4s) but it doesn't look like and main or nose ribs on the right wing have flanges to rivet to the spar-- there aren't any holes to rivet to so I'm assuming that's the way they intend, but as an aero engineer I can't figure out why the airloads would be highter on the left wing than on the right. I know there's some upwash on the inboard left from the prop, but can it make THAT much difference?

Wayne N143WM
Emp kit done
Wing kit close

Whoa! This doesn't sound right at all. If I recall correctly my wings were symetrical. Carefully check the instructions as to which ribs are to be trimmed. Don't be fooled by the use of the L and R suffixes on the rib numbers. Those letters refer to the type of rib, not which wing they go on. That fooled me for a while.

Wayne
The L & R suffix on the rib identification simply indicates which direction the flanges point. As I recall most of the rib flanges on both wings pointed inboard. The most inboard and outboard ribs faced outboard. Check this though.
The other point is the ribs will be of differing lengths on the left and right wings due to the fact that the main spars overlap fore and aft. Therefore the ribs have to be adjusted by trimming to keep leading edges at the same location on each side of the aircraft.
This has been confusing for many of us, but I guess this is how they decided to handle the situation with the wings. As you move along you will find that L & R suffixes indicate the location of the part.
Hope this helps.

Art Pennanen

Fwd & Aft flanges

Thanks guys-- the left and right sufffixes aren't the problem. It's that the Forward flanges on the mail ribs and aft flanges on the nose ribs are cut off differently. about half of the main ribs on the right wing have flanges that are riveted to the main spar. None of them on the left wing have. But several nose ribs on the left wing are riveted to the main spar and none of them on the right wing are. Laod transfer from the skins to the spars will be different.

Wayne