AX-O

Well Known Member
I found someone selling a wing that has not been started. The guy told me that he bought it in 04 at Oshkosh. Has there been any significant changes to the wing since that date? Also, would I need to get the latest plans?

Surely he meant ordered at Osh in 04. Probably got them about 10 weeks later. Late 2004, maybe someone else that ordered their wings along the same time will chime in.

Don't know what, if anything changed since then. I purchased my wings last year and the instructions (insert for manual) are dated 1/20/05. Could have been changes or maybe just correction in the text. Mine appear to be the same as the others I've seen on the web that are older.

Rat

I am not aware of any significant changes since then. I would just borrow a friends set of plans and have at it. Any local EAA chapter will have someone building an 8 to toss you some wing plans.

Best

Buy it and build it! I am not aware of any signifcant changes either.

I just got done (almost) with mine and they were really quite similar to my buddy's which he did the previous year.

Nuttin' to it but ta do it!

:cool: CJ

The biggest change might be in the tips. I had my wings delivered in 04 and the tips are the old style. The area for the lights is differents.

There was a change at some point that increased the recommended aerobatic gross weight from 1550 lb to 1600 lb. I'm not sure when that change was introduced, or how you tell which version wing you have.

Wing

Call Van's with the spar serial numbers that are etched on the root end. (they are not the same as the builder no.) They can tell you. You'll want to have the builder number changed to your name too.

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL Almost flying.

Kevin Horton said:
There was a change at some point that increased the recommended aerobatic gross weight from 1550 lb to 1600 lb. I'm not sure when that change was introduced, or how you tell which version wing you have.
Indeed there was a change to the RV-8 wing but it would have been a bit earlier than 2004. They extended the spar reinforcement bars outboard one more bay after the RV-8 demo ship had that failure right at the seam at the outboard edge of the fuel tank which coincidentally was where the spar reinforcements ended. Kevin is correct, they then increased the aerobatic gross slightly and also made it the same wing as the RV-7 (parts commonality). Internally they call it the "dash one" wing or something like that. I bought an updated wing drawing to compare the changes with my early wing and could seem them clearly. BTW, the dash one wing is 10 lbs heavier.