SteelMike

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I'm just finalizing the payments on my wing for shipment next week, and I'm curious if there's anything I'm forgetting to order. As it is, I've got

-7 wings
-float fuel senders (the mechanical ones - unless I hear a compelling reason to change, I'm sticking with mech ones, because can't you also just get a fuel flow gauge that's really accurate?)
-proseal
-considering adding landing lights. Does that need to be done now?

Thanks...

MB

Depending your build schedule, the accessories can be ordered later in the wing build process. Or you can order earlier to save on freight. There is no right answer.

The proseal has a limited shelf life, so don't order too early. It took me about 6-7 months before I needed it for my wings.

You should consider how you are going to run wire through the wing ribs. I used the conduit from Van's and ordered with the wings.

Other things to think about are:

Are you going to use the standard pitot, or a heated pitot?
How about Angle of Attack?
Landing Lights
Autopilot Servo and wing harness
Electric Trim
Strobe Lights
Poistion Lights
Are you going to put Archer antenna in the wingtips?
Not sure which model and engine you are building, but does it require a purge valve and line back to the fuel tanks?

All of these are much easier to install during the build process, but you may not need them right away.

yikes. That's kinda what I was worried about. I know in a perfect world that I'd already have the answers to all those questions, but for now I'm not sure. Here's what I'm thinking:

Would like IFR - so probably will need lights and heated pitot.
Will probably build with Lycoming experimental io-360 180hp purchased from Vans (unless I stumble upon some deal that's too good to pass up)
Definitely 2 axis autopilot
AOA - maybe
In terms of lighting - whatever's necessary for Night VFR

Okay, so now that I've put that out there, does all of this needed to be purchased today? How far through the wings will I be before I need this stuff? I was kind of thinking that most of this stuff would be tackled in the finishing portion of the build, am I way off?

As usual... many thanks.
MB

Mike,

Dynon makes a good heated pitot tube which will work with other systems. If you go with Dynon's EFIS, you can always use the built in AOA.

If you go with a Cessna style pitot tube, you will need a bracket to hold it. I recommend the Gretz mount over the Safeair 1 or some of the others.

Landing, position, and strobe lights can be installed later. Just make sure you have the conduit in place. Same goes for an auto pilot roll servo.

Cool. I think I'll get the conduit and the Dynon pitot. Although I think there are better *looking* Efis systems, the dynon two-axis auto pilot + dual screen efis system is too good a deal to pass on, it seems. Plus, that let's me get the AOA too.

So, conduit + pitot it is.

Sound about right?

...Although I think there are better *looking* Efis systems, the dynon two-axis auto pilot + dual screen efis system is too good a deal to pass on, it seems. Plus, that let's me get the AOA too.
The good thing is that the pitot will work with other systems AND by the time you need it, the new Dynon screens will probably ready.

Consider Omitting (Delaying actually) Parts

Mike
I would suggest that you omit the fiberglass wing tips from the wing kit. They will only take up valuable space in your workshop. They may also cure in a warped form, if not properly supported internally. Fiberglass continues to cure for about 6 months. In addition, what if you accidently damaged one of them?
You can always add them to your finish kit order. Besides, between now and then, Vans might make an improvement to the tips! Just my thoughts on it.
Charlie Kuss

That's a good point, Charlie, thanks for bringing it up. I have actually noticed that my fiberglass tips from the emp are all warped and aren't going to fit into their respective spots - at least not without considerable frustration, I'm guessing.

For a good tangent, does anyone else think the dynon autopilot + efis setup is pretty attractive? I'm not super knowledgeable on panel options at this point, but it looks full featured. btw, I'm hoping to get a little MFD action going on one of those screens. Is it possible to get them to display the moving map from some GPS input?

I'm about 90% set on the Dynon myself - the functionality and the price will be hard to beat.

...For a good tangent, does anyone else think the dynon autopilot + efis setup is pretty attractive? I'm not super knowledgeable on panel options at this point, but it looks full featured...
I'm a bit biased as I've been using the D100 EFIS and D10 EMS for over year and beta testing the Dynon autopilot for 50 hours and it is a GREAT combination that will make a lot of Dynon customers very happy.

(Please don’t ask me questions about the AP as I can only point you towards Dynon.)

Very interesting. I'm thinking that I'm going to become a dynon customer - it's too hard to ignore the value, as far as I can tell.

So, guys, I guess I should rephrase the question: Is there anything else that can't be put off until later that I've missed? I'm still at the moment planning on conduit and pitot...

I'm a bit biased as I've been using the D100 EFIS and D10 EMS for over year and beta testing the Dynon autopilot for 50 hours and it is a GREAT combination that will make a lot of Dynon customers very happy.

Don't need to ask - you just told me what I wanted to hear! :D

Dynon Servo

You can wait on the wing servo if you want. It was an easy install later on.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend installing the one in the fuselage that attaches to the bell crank for the elevator at the time of building.

You can wait on the wing servo if you want. It was an easy install later on.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend installing the one in the fuselage that attaches to the bell crank for the elevator at the time of building.
This is VERY good advice!!!!!

I installed the pitch servo bracket after I had been flying. It can be done but I sure wish I had installed it while I was building!