LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
(I generally don't like to post the same message in two different areas, but I sent this off to yahoogroups before remembering that it takes about 4 hours before a moderator checks and approves it in the oft chance that this will be the 1 in 10,000 messages they get that require moderation...so..... )

I've worked my way down the instructions for the fuselage and have -- now that I've finished the landing gear mount -- reached the section where it's time to mate the fuselage.

I've done pretty much everything in the instructions so far, but I'm wondering from those more experienced whether you'd advise doing things before mating the wings to make the process easier...or more importantly, faster.

Here's the deal: It's November. This is Minnesota and I want to get the wings on...do what needs to be done...and get them off again. I'm building in a two-car garage and this will need to be done by having one wing hanging out over the driveway area, which means the garage door will have to stay open.

Should it take longer than a few hours to do what needs to be done, that means I'm inviting all the riff-raff into the garage to rip off thousands of dollars worth of tools. So the less I'm "exposed," the better.

Anything you can suggest to make the process go faster?

Bob:

I feel your pain. Life in NE Wisconsin gets complicated as well in the winter.

When I mated my wings for my 6A to drill the main gear legs, I was able to set the fuselage in the center of the garage at an angle, pointing toward opposite corners of the garage. This allowed me to install both wings and close the garage door also.

Not sure of your garage size, mine is a 2 1/2 car, with about 6-8 feet more on one side of the garage door. You will need to get out there with a tape measure and see if it will fit.

Regards,

I'm not too concerned about the garage/fuselage fit now that I've accepted the fact one wing will have to hang out in the breeze. But if there's some stuff I can do in the fuselage over the next week to make the processes once I'm hanging out there go faster (and get the garage closed again -- it's unheated. We don't need no stinkin' heat!), all the better.

I did mine one wing at a time in my garage didn't have to leave door open at all and it flies fine. fred

Time it took ...

To install, measure, drill took me less than half a day. My rear spar didn't need to be shaved down tho - so if it is going to require a bit of cutting due to forward sweep, it will take longer.

OK, let me take another stab at this. Is there anything ANYBODY did other than the instructions on the fuselage to date...that they found made mating the wings an easier and faster process?

N520TX said:
To install, measure, drill took me less than half a day. My rear spar didn't need to be shaved down tho - so if it is going to require a bit of cutting due to forward sweep, it will take longer.
I did mine (shaving) before assembling the rear spart on the wing.

wings on... wings off...

Bob Collins said:
(I generally don't like to post the same message in two different areas, but I sent this off to yahoogroups before remembering that it takes about 4 hours before a moderator checks and approves it in the oft chance that this will be the 1 in 10,000 messages they get that require moderation...so..... )

I've worked my way down the instructions for the fuselage and have -- now that I've finished the landing gear mount -- reached the section where it's time to mate the fuselage.

I've done pretty much everything in the instructions so far, but I'm wondering from those more experienced whether you'd advise doing things before mating the wings to make the process easier...or more importantly, faster.

Here's the deal: It's November. This is Minnesota and I want to get the wings on...do what needs to be done...and get them off again. I'm building in a two-car garage and this will need to be done by having one wing hanging out over the driveway area, which means the garage door will have to stay open.

Should it take longer than a few hours to do what needs to be done, that means I'm inviting all the riff-raff into the garage to rip off thousands of dollars worth of tools. So the less I'm "exposed," the better.

Anything you can suggest to make the process go faster?
Bob,
I built an 8A and there may be differences, but here's a mistake I made: stuck the wings in, lots of measurements, drilled, took wings off, then realized I hadn't fitted the wing root fairings. I should have fitted the wing root fairings to the wings before installing the wings. That way, the wings would only have to go on once for drilling incidence AND trimming the wing root fairings. Of course, the wing root fairings have to be removed before sticking the wings in the carrythru.

Also, when the wings are on you might be able to fit the flap fairing. Not sure about your model, though.

Good luck.

wing mating

We took our 8 out of the garage just 10 feet or so and completed the mating and drilling in less than a day. 'Twas summer, tho. I think it's easier to define sweep and even tip-tail distances etc with both wings on. Good luck. Bill

Bob,
I did not deviate from the plans at all. Have you read the .pdf file on Van's website about wing incidence drilling (click on construction FAQs on the home page)? I had built a couple of stands with casters on them (a la Dan Checkoway) ahead of time to support the wing roots. Had made the pins out of hardware store bolts. Lots of Boelube on the pins. No big surprises. Cutting the holes for the flap rods was by far the most demanding part for me. Hated cutting holes in the fuselage. But it was REALLY cool to see the wings on and watch the flaps operate with the flap postioning system.
Have fun!
Ward