acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
I noticed today that one of my wing landing light bulbs is burned out. I thought this ought to be easy.
I removed the lens cover but could not remove the bulb. I happened to have the company of my friend and RV6 builder Mike from Georgetown TX in visiting and he wasn't sure either how to remove this bulb as his 6 has wing tip lights unlike my leading edge lights.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Bad Link

The links are bad on the Picasa album. What type of landing lights do you have.... Sounds like Duckworks.

Here is a photo of my Duckworks light. If I recall correctly, the bulb is a push in.

211uw5u.jpg

I made my own which look similar to the one shown above. In mine, the bulb is held in place with a spring-clip. The whole mounting must be removed to gain access to the bulb.

Good luck.

Unscrew

From memory..... I had to remove the reflector. You should have enough wire to bring out or turn the reflector around and there will be one screw on the back of the reflector which holds the bulb assembly. That screw is also the ground point for the bulb.

The links are bad on the Picasa album. What type of landing lights do you have.... Sounds like Duckworks.

Here is a photo of my Duckworks light. If I recall correctly, the bulb is a push in.

That is the light I have. The bulb feels like is has a bit of "spring" feel when I try to move/manipulate it, but doesn't want to turn, twist or release. per se.

Thanks for the info all.

RE: TODAYS FIX!!!!

211uw5u.jpg

I had to change out the H3 PK22 Base type bulb today.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...CDE64C0D067664BABB8F26B4A62200BB09264&first=0

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...77FDC61D2E0CF67289DC8D56B1FEAEF801D96&first=0

The ground on the interior of the bulb facet had broken. Remove the reflector. Unscrew the screw that holds the ground and light base in the reflector. Remove the old bulb. The power lead has a blade type connector.
Put the new bulb in place......Check the light to see if all is well. Button it up and go fly!!!!!!! I also checked the light ends of the wires coming from the panel to make sure their was continuity.

I bought my bulb at Orilley's in their aviation section:eek:

Aviation section

Thanks so much. I found an aviation section at Pep Boys as well. Who wouldda thought. Let there be light, again.

It is a common H3 bulb. But a word of caution, do not touch the glass portion of the bulb with bare fingers while installing it. If you do, carefully clean the bulb with some alcohol. The oils from your skin will create hot spots on the glass that cause the glass to crack.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I replaced both my halogen bulbs a few months ago when one burned out with Xenon bulbs. $10.50 each in the aviation isle at Pep Boys. 10x brighter than the halogen bulbs so I'm a happy camper. My leading edge lights are in the first bay inboard of the wing tips so I had to remove them to remove and replace the bulbs plus fabricate new connections since the plugs on the Xenon's were different. As John mentioned, don't touch the bulbs.

Last edited:
From memory..... I had to remove the reflector. You should have enough wire to bring out or turn the reflector around and there will be one screw on the back of the reflector which holds the bulb assembly. That screw is also the ground point for the bulb.

In my case the part about "you should have enough wire to bring out or turn the reflector" was not so.
I had to take off the wing tip. Now there IS enough wire for the next time around.
I will lengthen the other side whenever one of those bulbs burns out too.

PS. The youngster at Pep Boys said the xenon's don't last as long as the std H3's. I have read otherwise however online. Who knows for sure. I stuck with the std H3 this time.

Cathy

Last edited:
Those are most definitely NOT push-in style bulbs. They are H3 as someone earlier mentioned. They are removed and installed from the backside of the reflector!!!

On the rectangular Duckworks style lights, there is a small Philips head screw that holds the light bulb in place.

On the ROUND Duckworks Style lights, there is a spring clip that hold them in place.

Both of the Duckworks halogen kits use the same bulb, just different wattages sometimes and different shape reflectors .

The 55W replacements are found almost everywhere that carries automotive bulbs. Very Very common. The 100W replacements are not quite as common, but they can be found.

Duckworks has both available although they are not on the website for direct order. If you email Richard with Duckworks, he can help you with replacements.