sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm about to send in my wing kit order, and was looking over the possible part swaps to make. I am most concerned / interested with swaps to better handle mogas and the possibility of ethanol (even though I'll try my hardest to avoid it).

I am wondering what suggestions you have on replacement gaskets especially, who to get them from and whether Van's can swap them in the kit crate. The same for fuel line fittings.

Other than the swap for the locking fuel caps, some conduit for eventual wiring runs, etc... I am just mostly concerned with what needs to be replaced in order to better prepare for mogas/ethanol in the tanks.

Thanks!

--S

Nothing

I know better than to tell anyone what to do but here is what I did to my fuel tanks.... Nothing.
The fuel caps that Van provides already have Viton seals.
The quick drain plugs will need a change of o rings and depending on what sort of fuel system you plan on installing, a provision for a return line is about the only thing you might consider.
I attached a drain flange fitting to the inboard side of the tank for my return line, easy to to when you are building the tanks and if you don't need it just plug it. That's it.

nothing

I am with Ernst. Nothing is needed except you may want to replace stock drains with stainless steel. SafeAir makes them and sells $25 apiece. Stock drains will get considerable corrosion on the outside if your airplane likes a drink or two ;) mine does. She was built by a Russian and never refuses a shot of hard liquor :)

You should also probably stick with resistive float type fuel level senders as opposed to capacitive devices.

Joe: Yeah, I know all about capacitive senders and varying fuel densities. I'm definitely sticking with the float-type senders.

Vlad: Thanks for the tip! I'm guessing there's no worry about stainless-to-aluminum corrosion since everything will be (lightly) slathered in fuel lube?

So far, from the responses here and finally finding the ethanol tip thread (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69354), I've got the following shopping list. I would've thought it'd be longer, but I guess not.

• Saf-Air CAV-110 SS
  • Viton O-Ring size 006 McMaster P/N 9464K11
  • Viton Cap O-Ring size 225 McMaster P/N 9464K96
  • Viton Stem O-Ring size 1.6mm x 5.1mm McMaster P/N 9263K619
  • Viton Lock O-Ring size 2mm x 5mm McMaster P/N 9263K165

The cap, stem, and lock O-Rings are for the Newton deluxe locking fuel caps.

Thanks all!

I didn't make any changes other than to replace the o-rings on the fuel drain (which is normal at annual anyway). I avoid ethanol (have to drive 60 miles to get pure mogas, but worthwhile since its $1.50+ cheaper than avgas). Just doing my annual now and in 3.5 years have had zero leaks from the fuel tank gaskets (cork with some gasket seal on them).

Greg

I have no first-hand experience, but the common wisdom (whatever that is...) is that ethanol is somewhat corrosive to aluminum. I've seen other builders alodine the internal tank surfaces as a hedge against that possibility. I'm guessing you'd want to do the same to the lines, and any other aluminum fuel system components.

Ethonol fuels!!!!!

....Don't forget to replace the o-rings in the fuel selector valve. They can swell up and make the valve so tight that you can't move it. Also be sure your AN hoses are Teflon and not rubber. Allan...:D