AX-O

Well Known Member
I just purchased a wing kit from a guy that no longer wanted it. It is a slow built kit and no work has been started. My question is the following. Do I use the plans and the building instructions (dated 1/22/03) that came with the kit or do I use the building instructions that came with my preview plans (dated 9/13/05)?

I would use the ones that came with the kit. You COULD get the newest revision and pay the $50 beans, but why do that when I can photocopy my instructions dated 2/24/04 and mail them to you. They are for the -7, but there isn't alotta difference in them.

The plans should be the same or pretty close to what you need. Methodology and sequence, as well as readability are probably all that has changed in the instructions I am guessing.

PM me with your snail mail addy if you want me to mail them to ya!

;) CJ

Wing kit plans

AX-O said:
I just purchased a wing kit from a guy that no longer wanted it. It is a slow built kit and no work has been started. My question is the following. Do I use the plans and the building instructions (dated 1/22/03) that came with the kit or do I use the building instructions that came with my preview plans (dated 9/13/05)?
I had QB wings, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I'd try to compare the two sets of plans and instructions you have along the way to see what may be different. This could indicate an improvement or modification that you may want to make. At a minimum, reading the instructions twice can't hurt!

Captain_John said:
I would use the ones that came with the kit. You COULD get the newest revision and pay the $50 beans, but why do that when I can photocopy my instructions dated 2/24/04 and mail them to you. They are for the -7, but there isn't alotta difference in them.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I only bring this up because the issue has been on here recently regarding paint schemes. Isn't copying the plans a violation of Van's copyright protection. I mean, it clearly would deny Van's the $50 revenue. Again, I'm not trying to be some goody-2-shoes, but still...

Np Steve... I was just referring to the instructions. Not the plans. Besides, we are both already paying customers. It isn't like Van is losing out on any real business.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, though.

:) CJ

Newer or older plans

I had the same "issue" with the wing plans because I bought the older wing (purchases in '98) form a guy and the tail kit and manual in 2002. Both had manuals with them. I think there's more of a difference in these two wings than yours because the spar extends into the next bay after 2000? Anyway, Vans said to use the newer plans. I ended up using the newer manual for the instruction, but the large drawings that came with the wing-kit and I have had no problems (almost complete). Hope that helps. Dave

Captain_John said:

The plans should be the same or pretty close to what you need. Methodology and sequence, as well as readability are probably all that has changed in the instructions I am guessing.

PM me with your snail mail addy if you want me to mail them to ya!

;) CJ

The instructions that came with my preview plans are from 9/13/05. So thank you. I will just compare the 2 sets of instructions. I was just worried that the old building sequence would not have all the feedback from people's mistakes.