rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone have a wing kit list? I would like the list just to see what else I should order. My wing kit is being assembled next week. Any thoughts on what else to have them deliver would be appreciated too.

Lighting

Duckworks leading edge landing/taxi lights, if so desired. I just installed these in each leading edge for my 9a wings, just prior to riveting the leading edge to the spar. The lights took a good day and a half but I imagine much simpler than retrofitting a completed wing. (you will have access both front and back of lights, and on a bench...)

1. your choice of lights and the Pro-Seal.

2. Any conduit or bushings for running wires out the wings, plus the wires.

3. How about an aileron trim servo or autopilot servo and installation kit?

4. Are you going to want a different than stock pitot tube? How about pitot heat? That'll need wiring too.

5. Will you be needing a substructure die set or the tank dies?

6. Does a stall warner come with your wings, and if not, do you want one? (I did.)

7. Wingtip attaching hardware if you want something different than what's in the plans.

Van's can email you a copy of the packing list.

Have fun!

Dave
p.s. - My intention is to at least have the configuration nailed down at the beginning of the next kit I start. It was easy to do that for the empennage kit!

Last edited:
No Pro Seal

IMHO I'd wait on the Pro Seal until you are ready to start the tanks. The Pro Seal has a limited shelf life.

Interesting to read the replies. I just received my wing kit, but haven't opened the crates yet. Just finishing up on the tail kit, so should get into them in a day or two. Rockwood, are you just trying to spend more $$$???? :D

spend, spend, spend!

Interesting to read the replies. Rockwood, are you just trying to spend more $$$???? :D

HAHA! Spend more money - that is all I need. Lucky my wife doesn't read this forum!

I have been researching the lights dilema and trying to figure out what I want to do. I don't plan on night flying - the mountains are too high around here and I don't have enough experience. My son does almost all of his flying at night - but he does have the night vision goggles advantage, so I want to include lights. I also like the idea of lights so people can see me. Im even thinking about smoke to make sure in crowded airspace.

I am interested in ideas on lighting - to make sure I get it installed so I have the most options.

Im mostly looking for what to have Vans add to my order so it ships the same and save a few bucks that way. I have read about getting another 15' 3/4x3/4 angle because if I screw it up it is real expensive to ship. Is that a good idea? I think I will get a couple half sheets of aluminum just to have for whatever.

Thanks - and any ideas on how I can spend less money would be great!! Actually, I am a guy that wants to spend only once - even if it is more so I am sure I waste money. Buy the best and then you won't be dissatisfied is a good rule - but so is don't buy what you don't need.

Understood, my friend, money does sort of flow like water, doesn't it?

Yeah, you'll want lights whether you plan to fly at night or not -- hard to fly at night WITHOUT them, and you never know what will happen.

I also have strobes on my 150 and usually turn them on when it's hazy or smoky or when I want to be sure the tower will see me. Don't know if folks are using strobes on these things or not, but I like the ability to be seen when needed.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Do you think you won't end up placing another order during your wing build? I've had to place a few. Besides every time I place an order I get another t-shirt. My wife thinks they give them to you when you place an order. :D

I tried to do what you are trying to do when I started my wings. I ordered the flexible conduit when I ordered the wings. But... I'm now ready to place yet another order and I still haven't gotten to the point of installing the conduit.

Rockwood,

I'm right behind ya (literally). Actually, my kit was supposed to be packed and shipped this week. But I told the factory to hold off delivery until after Oshkosh.

As most others have said, I had the factory throw in conduit, swap out the fuel caps for the deluxe ones, and change around a few of the gaskets (to protect against ethanol... See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69354). Steve Melton, another -9a builder finishing up here at HAO, also told me to swap out the fuel line tubing for something a bit more stiff. But that comes in the fuselage kit.

I'm staying away from lighting as long as possible. It's under the same category as avionics - buy near the end. I'll put in an autopilot servo bracket. But otherwise, after much research I haven't seen many additions or swaps from the standard wing kit, especially for us mogas dreamers.

If you're coming up to OSH, we should meet up. I'll be there all week (especially the VAFkosh Monday night beerfest). I'm surprised no one's planning a -9a specific meetup or something.

Scott. Thanks for the info. I am not going to be able to make it to Oshkosh. We have our kids and grandkids visiting and as fun as Oshkosh would be, I never miss a chance to be with them.

Most of the additional items I will need for the wings can be shipped pretty easy later. I am mostly thinking of things that would be too expensive to ship by themselves. I was thinking of getting a few pieces of aluminum skins about 2'x4' of the .016, .025. and .032 just to have.

I am anxious to get started on the wings. I will put some pictures up of the rudder - VS fit together. I am going the smooth route and filled over all the rivets with lightweight filler. They will be glass smooth!

Wings arrived!

Vans went beyond what then needed to and got my wings delivered in a very short time so my son can help me work on them when he gets here the end of the week.

What a crating and packing job. Everything arrived in perfect condition. I was able to fit all the packing paper in one huge construction trash bag. Then I ran over it with the car so it would fit in the trash can!

It came off the truck easy, into my trailer so I could get it down the driveway and into the garage. 2 hours later, all inventoried and stored. Now the fun begins!
7.jpg
[/IMG]
5.jpg
[/IMG]

Two hours? Took me a good six to inventory everything and count all the hardware. You must have been using fingers AND toes to count! ;) At this rate you'll be flying before I even order the fuselage!

Wow, Rockwood!! Vlad and I will definately be over there to visit. Beautiful!!

It is a pretty cool place to live - what a view! That is Mt Sopris in the background and just to the left of the mountain is Snowmass and Aspen. Come on out, lots to do here.

I was just looking at the spars again. They are pretty amazing. Almost a work of art. I would hang them on my wall, but my wife likes pictures rather than airplane parts for decoration!

Yeah, but look at the size of that snowblower! Bigger than my motorcycle! ;)
HaHa! thats for sure. It does a pretty good job - takes about 30 minutes to do the driveway. I had to move it and some other **** out of my garage to make room for the wings.

I had to do a lot of shuffling myself, Rockwood. From the pics, though, it looks to me like you've got the perfect location to build and live! As others said, absolutley beautiful.