CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day Folks,

I just ordered my Wing Kit from Vans. As I'm waiting for that to arrive in about 2 months time, what else should I be ordering and installing during the wing build? I'm aware of the lighting system, but is there anything else?

As well, I'm planning on installing a Dynon Skyview system. What fuel sending units (if any) should I install in the tanks that will work with the Skyview system? What should I be installing (if anything) during the wing building process with the view of later on having a Sky View system?

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris, order 2 cans of pro seal, and wiring conduit. Those are the 2 I forgot and had to ship after I got my kit. I have not looked into what system I'll be putting in avionics wise, but as far as I know either the float or capacitive senders will work with the skyview. Maybe someone can correct me if Im wrong. But I went with float senders.

Trevor

Wings

Yup, floats or capactive, but you will need capacitance to Volt Converters for each tank if you go capacitive. You can get Dynon ones from ACS. I got the safeair pitot/static system, the pitot mast, and also the bung kit for the tanks in the event I want to install the extended range tanks down the road through the tips. Buy extra gromets too for wires and pitot/static lines.

DP

Dynon heated pitot/AOA probe to go with your SV system. Works great. You'll plumb another line along with your PITOT for the AOA.

I believe the factory Vans fuel senders will work with the Dynon. If not, I'm gonna be annoyed.

Consider ordering the following as well:

Pitot Mast from somewhere.
Autopilot brackets, and if you want, the servo and wiring harness from your chosen manufacturer.
And if you're like me, a bunch more MK-319-BS rivets to close out the lower wing panel. :D

Fuel gages

Chris,
If you go with float senders I would recommend to get two Vans fuel gages. They are cheap. After senders are installed you can hook up your gages and by rotating the tanks simulate fuel levels. This way you would know the senders and gages are actually working.

Upgrade your fuel caps!
You can also buy from Van's some prebuilt fuel pickup tubes.

Ditto on the pre built pick ups. And after riveting in the supplied caps, I'm starting to wish I installed the after market ones. The stock caps are a pain to open and close. Maybe after some time they'll loosen up, but for now I need a small pry bar to open em. They may just need some 100LL, but that's about 2 years away...

Do you plan on lighted gauges?

Chris,
If you go with float senders I would recommend to get two Vans fuel gauges. They are cheap. After senders are installed you can hook up your gauges and by rotating the tanks simulate fuel levels. This way you would know the senders and gauges are actually working.

Chris,
Do you plan on night ops? If so, you need lighted gauges. The Vans units are not lighted. Vans gauges plus lighting will cost more than buying the Mitchell fuel gauges, which come with lighting in them. See

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/mitchfuellvl.php

Charlie

My engine and fuel gauges are from Van's
and they are all lighted. I don't think they
sell unlighted gauges with their name on them.
Tom

Working on my wings now too....

I'm working on my first slow built wing. I got the wiring conduit from Van's. I'm also using Duckworks landing lights in the leading edge, easier to install during construction. I got the Gretz pitot mast to install as well. The deluxe fuel caps from Van's are very nice too. They look much better than the stock ones. Went with float type senders and the pre-made fuel pickup tubes from Van's too. I used nearly an entire can of proseal on my first tank. I wasn't very frugal with it but plan accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Robert