jferraro17

Opulence, I has it...
Having followed Van's instructions--in order--on the empanage, I look back and see I may have been better off doing things differently...say starting on the rudder vs. the HS (only an opinion).

I like the nice bite-sized pieces of the Emp., and was wondering if there are any issues anyone has seen with building the wings in some other sequence than prescribed in the manual. Tanks first (Proseal drying out over time?)? Flaps and Ailerons first (fitting issues?)? Any other suggestions?

I'm working in one half of a 2 car garage, so I don't want to put the jigs up until I absolutely have to. Building the main structure then having to find room for them is a hassle as well...where as the flaps, ailerons and tanks can go in the hanger (guest bedroom) relatively easily.

Thoughts? Thanks--

Joe

Joe,

The wing jig goes up at about the right time in the sequence. About the only things that you can do before the jig goes up is to deburr all of the parts and maybe build the ailerons and flaps. If you are strapped for space with the wings, then you are really going to be in trouble with the fuse. Tell your wife to get her car out of your Airplane Factory!

Cheers,
Tracy.

I did:
The nutplate work on both main spars.
Built both rear spars.
Prepped all wing ribs and tank ribs.
Built both ailerons and flaps.
Assembled one wing (spars and ribs).
Moved one wing assy to the wing jig.
Built one leading edge and tank.
Skinned the wing.
Repeat last 4 steps for other wing.

Steve

Ah Yes

thallock said:
Joe,

The wing jig goes up at about the right time in the sequence. About the only things that you can do before the jig goes up is to deburr all of the parts and maybe build the ailerons and flaps. If you are strapped for space with the wings, then you are really going to be in trouble with the fuse. Tell your wife to get her car out of your Airplane Factory!

Cheers,
Tracy.

Her car is already on the driveway, mine's in the other bay!!! :D It will move out when Fuse time gets here.

I was just thinking the flaps/ailerons are like doing more Emp work, same with the tanks from a size of the piece stand point.

Thanks for the input--

Joe