MikeJ 7A

I'm planning to build both wings at the same time.
If I set up the shop with the wings perpendicular to my work bench it seems like that would be best in terms of work flow. But if I do that, I will have limited access (about 18") between the outboard wing ends and the shop wall. (Option A)

If I set up with the wings parallel, I will have plenty of room all the way around both wings, but it will be a "long trip" from the workbench to the second wing. (Option B).

How critical is access to the outboard ends of the wings?

wings.jpg

Mike,

After I started my wings, I found it worked best for me to take the things I needed (rivet gun and bucking bar or squeezer, rivets, clecos, etc.) and set them on a small stand next to the wing or on the spar (padded with cardboard). I don't spend a lot of time going back and forth to my workbench and when I do, it is a welcome break to stretch my legs as there are a lot of repetitive tasks on the wings.

As for the workbench, if at all possible, put them on wheels. I have three, one with my bench tools mounted on it and the other two are the EAA 1000 work benches that I can bolt together to make long and narrow or almost square. You'll eventually find the best work flow and it's much easier with things on wheels.

You don't spend much time on the ends of the wings but if you're bucking the wing skins by yourself, you'll need to reach in through the lightning holes in the ends and 18" might be a little tight. My wings are arranged more like your option B but mainly because that's the way they fit in half of a two car garage.

IMG_0993.JPG