Tailpilot

Im building a -8. I am working on the wings and wanted to know If anyone has built a wing jig that is moveable....I need to build one that I do not have to bolt to the floor. I can't bolt it to the ceiling either because I am building it my dads hangar till we get our house built and he doesn't want me to drill holes in his hangar floor :roll eyes:

yes, I have all you need.
two for building and 2 for storage.

Contact me off line and will coordinate a plan.
Spencer,NC

TG

I bought some Bondo and put a glob around each foot on mine. Of course I cleaned the floor first. It worked pretty well, I've bumped my wing jig and it hasn't moved.

When done I'll chip it off with a metal chisel. This worked on the empennage jig (I'm building an RV-3B, which uses lots of jigs.)

But please check with your father first. He might not want the goop on his floor.

Dave

jig

I bought some Bondo and put a glob around each foot on mine. Of course I cleaned the floor first. It worked pretty well, I've bumped my wing jig and it hasn't moved.

When done I'll chip it off with a metal chisel. This worked on the empennage jig (I'm building an RV-3B, which uses lots of jigs.)

But please check with your father first. He might not want the goop on his floor.

Dave

This is probably the only way to have a semi fixed jig. The two end supports must remain in the same position relative to each other or you will build in a twist. In fact, Dave's has a frame around the top as well.

Mine is anchored to the garage floor. When it's done, I'll cut off the anchors and patch the holes.

I didn't really want holes in my garage floor either. After thinking about it for a while I just went ahead and drilled the holes. I used Tapcon screws so there isn't an anchor in the slab when you are done only small holes that can be filled.

I would be concerned about the bondo solution. I have a lot of time into my wings and I wouldn't want them to go crashing down onto the floor.

You can drill a 1/4" hole in the slab, and use two 16d nails in it-------holds really well in concrete, and yet still is easy to remove.

I have used this technique many times to erect braces or temporary walls on concreted slabs.

I would be concerned about the bondo solution. I have a lot of time into my wings and I wouldn't want them to go crashing down onto the floor.

Good point - my jig is a large frame.

124c9xs.jpg

This way they can't fall down.

Dave
RV-3B, somewhat different.....