AirWolf

I am getting ready to install my wings, and I wanted to get suggestions from everyone who has done it before. Anything that makes the job easier/better, and things that you have learned from (things that you may have forgotten to do, which required you to remove the wings, etc).
Some history...I have already installed the wings (months ago) to set the incidence and sweep, so now I am hoping to do it for the last time. I have drilled the bottom skin to the wings (I just have to make sure that I attached the platenuts already!), but I have not fit the top gap piece.

Thanks,
Ron
RV-9A

I have only trial fit mine, but I can tell you that one nice thing to have is an adjustable office chair with the back removed. They're cheap and work nice as a dolly for the outboard end of the wing.

Steve

Well, I'm planning on putting the wings on tomorrow, so any suggestions you guys/gals might have would be great!

Here is what I have so far for my mental checklist before I attach the wings:
1 Make sure all operations requiring access to the area covered by the wings is complete (attaching fuel and vent fittings, inserting screws and bolts in fuselage for gear leg weldment, etc)
2 Make sure lower wing platenuts are already riveted on.
3 Clean the wing spar bolt holes AND the wing box bolt holes. (What should I clean them with???)
4 Clean the bolts, and stick in the freezer. To transport to the airport, put bolts in a cooler with ice to keep cold.
5 Use drift pins to get the bolt holes lined up before trying to insert the close tolerance bolts (I heard last night that large punches work great for the alignment)

Anything that I am missing?
Thanks!
Ron
RV-9A

For transporting the bolts you might try very salty water and ice instead of plain ol' H2O and ice. I learned on Mythbusters that it will cool things (beer) much better.

Steve Zicree

szicree said:
For transporting the bolts you might try very salty water and ice instead of plain ol' H2O and ice. I learned on Mythbusters that it will cool things (beer) much better.

Steve Zicree

Even better, pack em in dry ice. That's what defense contractors use for storing special rivets, certain bolts and temporarily storing proseal prior to distribution to shop freezers around the plant. There are more than a few ways of playing with the stuff when no longer needed. Ask any production worker. Put some in front of a fan to create a poor man's temporary and low-tech air-conditioning system. Drop a chunk into a beverage cup with a little water and watch it billow "smoke" all over the table. If you are particularly mischievious, stuff a small chunk into an empty two liter plastic soda bottle, add a drop of water, screw the cap back on tightly and disappear fast!

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I didn't need any ice, but take some anyway incase you have stubborn bolts. I did the 1/4" bolts first. That way the 7/16" bolt holes will be well aligned. A little motor oil is all I needed and just a little tap tap tap. Definetely have at least one helper. The hardware store bolts with tips ground to points work well as guide pins.

Roberta

If you use something like oil etc., just make sure you don't get the stuff on the threads (or if you do, make sure you remove it) since it'll screw up the torque reading.Question: I'm building in my garage and I know the time is coming at the rate I'm going (a rate which will slow a little bit 'cuz my kid wrapped up the car last night with that $1,000 deductible I put on it and I'm a pay-as-you-go builder) to need to mate the wings.

I'll have to do it one at a time and then remove it because, well, it's a garage...a....ummm... real garage. That is, kinda small. I used the supplied bolts when I put the little wood spacers in and I figured I'd use 'em when I mate the thing but since I have to take it off...I thought I'd just order new bolts when the thing goes to the hangar for final assembly (and, unless I paint it before assembling it, I guess it really won't be final assembly now that I think of it).

Is there any penalty I'm paying for installing and then removing the wings multiple times as long as I put new bolts in the last time?