Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
I have decided to do away with the fiberglass fairing (for the wing/fuselage intersection) like Steve Sampson did on his RV-4. With that being said, what kind of rubber strip has everyone been using? I've seen the various styles at Aircraft Spruce, and Vans appears to sell a 12' strip for the RV-6, which I assume would work well.

As for the aluminum strip (that covers the gap between the wing and the fuselage), I think the RV-6 uses a long strip of metal. Does anyone have a part number for this? I couldn't find it on "the list" and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to order a long strip of metal without paying a cutting fee and so forth. I think the RV-6 wing and the RV-4 wing are the same dimensions at the root of the wing, so I'm thinking they'd be interchangeable (as long as the strip isn't pre-drilled).

Any other advice would be welcome . . .

Thanks,

Rick

You are correct abt the rubber channel, Van's p/n "RUBBER CHANNEL X 12'. As for an ACS p/n cross reference...I don't know.

The RV-6 preview plans, sheet # 46 provides a sketch of the wing root fairing, overall length of 69 inches, and station lines with height points. This is a good approximation for the first cuts and trial fit of the fairing. Additional details on this sheet show the material as .025 2024-T3. The call out for the rubber channel is...RUBBER CHANNEL.

I ended up ordering a sheet of the .025 Al from ACS and fabricated my own fairings when I first attached the wings to the a/c. The raw faring material was not included in the FUS kit.

When I finally ordered the finish kit, the material showed up, had a p/n on the blue plastic sandwich, and had a somewhat finished shape...I think it is for the RV-7 series. This shape is completely different from the cut out dimensions in the preview plans and the actual build drawings for the -6.

Hope this helps...

...and the p/n for the wing root faring is...WRF-601, qty = 2. This is listed on my Finish Kit Packing List dated 04.02.04.

Thanks!

Thanks guys, that was the info I was looking for. I'll try the WRF-601 part for the RV-6 - this should work for the RV-4 with a little tweaking, I would think.

Gracias,

Rick

Rick....

....the -6 has a wider gap at the wing root than the -4, so you'll simply end up with a narrower strip. We used the same part on Brian's -4 and it is neat.
Several years ago, a poster on here bought a-6 with a radiused fiberglass root fairing. After he removed it and went with Van's flat aluminum skin fairing, he gained around 7 MPH.

Regards,

Wing root fairing issues

I got the WRF strips in my finish kit as well, but I'm not too happy with them. Maybe I'm having a brain meltdown, but it is looking like if I trim them to fit the contour of the fuselage, I will run out of edge distance around the tank rib rivets. I duct taped my fairing to the wing near the flap. It was pretty tight against the fuselage in most places, but when I wrapped it around the wing's leading edge it was pretty far away from the fuse at the bottom. My only solution at this point is to get some wider 0.025" strips. Any ideas?

Are you allowing for the rubber gap seal? The aluminum does not go right to the edge of the fuselage; IIRC, mine was gapped about 3/16".

radiused wing root

....the -6 has a wider gap at the wing root than the -4, so you'll simply end up with a narrower strip. We used the same part on Brian's -4 and it is neat.
Several years ago, a poster on here bought a-6 with a radiused fiberglass root fairing. After he removed it and went with Van's flat aluminum skin fairing, he gained around 7 MPH.

Regards,

I re-installed the fiberglass radius fairings when I started racing my rv-4. Having read your post I might go back to the flat sheet and rubber gasket that I took off. Wow, seven knots.

Chris Murphy RV-4

I did allow for the rubber strip (mine is about 5/8" from the edge to where the aluminum strip is mounted in it). It's still a bit close for comfort since the bottom of it angles out away from the fuse so far. BTW, how far under the -A should that strip go? I don't think it is supposed to be trimmed around the landing gear, is it?