Have had very poor luck with the adhesive attachment of the butyl wing fairing weather strip. Am using the 3M weather strip adhesive, but have failed on 3 different occasions to get a permanent seal. Have prepared the surface well and used alcohol for a final cleaning each time, but I'm definitely not doing something correctly? Would very much appreciate your thoughts and experiences on the process. Thanks much.

I used the same 3M weather strip adhesive I think. Yellow gooey stuff. I removed the gap strip from the plane and then put the rubber onto the strip, bent the rubber to one side to expose the inside surface and stuck the nose of the tube in the gap and ran the bead of adhesive into there. Let it dry off the plane. Once it was dry I reinstalled the gap strip.

All that said, I think the main concern is that the end of the rubber doesn't come loose and start banging on the fuselage in flight. I know some folks that didn't bother with adhesive and simply put a rivet throught the end of the rubber into the aluminum gap strip.

Jeremy Constant

No Adhesive

If you get the fairing to fuselage fit snug enough you don't need adhesive. The hardest part to get right is the underside trailing end. Mine seems to be doing well after about 70 hours.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

After mine came loose in flight (no adhesive) I used clear silicone and no problems in the ensuing 200+ hours. Best done after paint.

greg

wing fairings

Just wanted to say thanks to all for their thoughts and suggestions. With your help, the "fix" is in place cheers, bob