bobmarkert

Well Known Member
Can someone put me out of my misery? I've been scrubbing DWG 17A and 43. It has me leave some rivets on the wing skin along the fuselage open to attach the root fairing.

1. Do those holes get countersunk?

2. The holes go through the wing walk doubler. What type fastner holds the fairing on?

3. Based on the answer to the above, do I need to put a nutplate on the inboard wing ribs to have something to screw into?

Thank you
Bob Markert

Nutplates

Those would be nutplates for countersunk holes... About every third hole or so.

do later

I just did this. My QB wings came with the holes left open except on underside. I had to drill some out. You will fit your wing root fairing when you fit you wings. Read that part and you will see how these get a machine C/S. When you pull the wing to debur this is when you install the nutplates.

Cheers

I just did this. My QB wings came with the holes left open except on underside. I had to drill some out. You will fit your wing root fairing when you fit you wings. Read that part and you will see how these get a machine C/S. When you pull the wing to debur this is when you install the nutplates.

Ok so I'm still a speedbump.
I'm assuming I do not dimple countersink those holes now or the wing walk doubler or the wing rib. All the other holes will get countersunk and rivited through the skin, doubler and wing rib. Later when the fuselage is done and during the wing attachment process nutplates will be added to the wing ribs that will hold everything to include the fairing in these holes. Am I even close on how this goes together? if that the case is there any good reason I should not add the platenuts to the wing ribs now when everything is open?
Thank you

do later

I recently complete my -7 wings & studied how this goes together. I would not install those nutplates now & I would leave those holes #40 size. It is better to use a #40 hole as a drill quide when filling a part than a hole that has been drilled for a #8 screw. If there is a nutplate on there, it becomes nearly impossble without destroying the threads. If you end up shoving a rivet in one of these holes by mistake, no big deal. Easy fix later. On the -7 there is one hole on top & one on bottom that is not pre-drilled. They are aft, above & bellow the flap brace. I am guessing it is no different on the -8. Keep that in mind when looking at your drawings.

Scott's right...don't do anything at this point (I'm assuming you're building your wings now). Fitting/bending/matchdrilling the wing root fairing is one of the last things I'm doing on my -7A, and yes, the wing root fairing comes pre-punched to #40 as well.

It'll all make sense once you have the wing/fuel tank installed on the fuse, but leave them open at #40 size for the time being.