prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out how big a truck to rent. Vans has a sheet listing crate dimensions, but I just want to check if anyone knows if the dimensions given for the -9 wing crate are correct? The crates listed for the -9 wing are the same dimensions and weight as for the other models, but the -9 wing is considerably longer, so I'm just wondering if this is correct.
The long box is given at 15.5 feet.

Wing Crate Demensions

The demensions are correct. I received my shippment several weeks ago. the 15'+ is driven by the longerons for the fuesalage.

Trailer

I just purchased a set of wings still in the crates from another builder. I picked them up with a rented 16 foot trailer and ratcheting tie downs. Might save you some $$$ if you have to travel any appreciable distance.

Fred
magaref "at" hayscisd.net

I brought mine home in "the back" of my short box dodge. It has a sliding rear window.
The shorter crate will fit in the back and the long one will slide almost to the front window then just strap it down tight.

12 foot trailer OK for wing spar crate?

Anyone know if I will run into trouble picking up my wing kit from ABF with a 12 foot trailer? I know it will hang off 4 feet - will that be OK for the parts inside? Put another way, is the crate rigid enough to cantilever like that?

I don't have far to go, maybe 10 miles back roads. If this isn't a good idea, I can ask a friend with the bigger trailer....

Thanks!

IowaRV9Dreamer said:
Anyone know if I will run into trouble picking up my wing kit from ABF with a 12 foot trailer? I know it will hang off 4 feet - will that be OK for the parts inside? Put another way, is the crate rigid enough to cantilever like that?

I don't have far to go, maybe 10 miles back roads. If this isn't a good idea, I can ask a friend with the bigger trailer....

Thanks!
A friend hauled my spar box home in the back of an eight foot pickup truck (10 with the tail gate down). I followed in my small Nissan Pickup with the other wing box in the back. It worked out well and off course, I tailgated him all the way home so some idiot wouldn't run into the spars. I figured if someone was going to hit them, it had better be me. :eek:

In other words, you shouldn't have a problem with a 12 foot trailer.

BTW, after spending a day inventorying ALL the wing parts in the garage and carrying them to the basement one or two at a time, I had a big moment of despair. All I could think of was, "What have I gotten myself into? I spent how much on this pile of parts? I will never get through this!" That lasted about a day and then I dug into the wing kit and never looked back.

Last edited:
I brought my wing kit home from Van's, 30 mi. in my 10 ft. flatbed trailer. Hung over a little in front and in back. No problem.

Be aware, however, that the crates do leak. If they get wet, get the parts out of them soon or you may get corrosion. It started raining on my way home and one of the crates leaked. I opened the crates, pulled the packing paper out, set a box fan in front of them for 3 days and parts in one crate still had minor corrosion.

timing

Just out of curiosity, are Vans usually on-time with delivery dates they predict? When I ordered my wings on Oct 20, they said it should ship the week of Dec 11. That's next week. Just wondering if I should hold my breath, or be prepared for delays...