Brambo

Well Known Member
For those of you that have QB wings and used Van's conduit I have a question. Obviously, the big problem is getting holes in the inboard ribs where the bottom skin is already in place. I read in this forum where guys have gotten drill extensionswith 3/8" chuck from Home depot to make this work. Sounded great so I got one, but now there still seems to be a problem. The "chuck" on the extender is bigger the the 3/4" hole I'm drilling so how can you get the extender through to the next hole? The "chuck" does not look removable. Is there another extender out there with a thinner chuck or is there a trick to this?

Bill
RV-7A (QB wings)

Bill,

I ground my extender down so it would fit through the holes. This didn't leave much thread left for the set screws but it worked out.

Drill a hole, remove extender, push through to the next bay, put uni-bit back on, drill next hole, over and over and over...

Brambo said:
The "chuck" on the extender is bigger the the 3/4" hole I'm drilling so how can you get the extender through to the next hole? The "chuck" does not look removable. Is there another extender out there with a thinner chuck or is there a trick to this?
Bill RV-7A (QB wings)

I bought an extender at Home Depot made by Irwin whose chuck barely clears the 9/16" hole drilled by the bit I bought. The bits have hexagonal shanks. Any number of the extenders can be joined together.

I bought this to drill through studs in interior walls (to run wiring). YMMV using for the plane.

At Harbor Freight I bought a set of "El-Cheapo" unibits that have 1/4" hex drive and a 12" hex drive extension that has a small OD. I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole through the inboard set of ribs using a 12" #30 bit, then followed up with the "unibits", taking the hole out to 3/4". Worked fine. The hard part is pulling the @##$*# counduit through this area.

Holes for conduit

Consider not making the holes. I routed the conduit through the lightening holes. I made a small bracket, sort of look like an "L" with a little hook at the end, about 1/4" in width, about 1" in height. I riveted the "L" to the rib with the bottom just at the edge of the hole. I zip tied the tube to the "L" and put a dab of blue RTV to stabilize the installation at each rib. Works great, just position the zip tie end to where it will not cut you. Regards, John.

N941WR said:
Bill,

I ground my extender down so it would fit through the holes. This didn't leave much thread left for the set screws but it worked out.

Bingo! Worked great, all holes done. Many thanks!

Bill