AntiGravity

Well Known Member
Hi Guys, quick question. I'm done edge finishing the ribs for the left wing (building one at a time). Tonight I plan to do the various holes, etc for the pitot tubing and wiring conduit as per Vans plans. Reading the plans a little further I note that it says to match drill the ribs to the spars, then prime. This means that all the match drilling to the wing skins and dimpling, etc will happen *after* the ribs are primed and attached to the spar. Would it not be better to do everything first and then prime, or is it simply not feasible? Maybe the structure would not be rigid enough just cleco'd together while fitting the skins, etc? What did other people do? Cheers.

I did it per the manual.
Thought about clecoing the ribs to the LE and then drilling, but I am waiting to jig the wings until I move so they're not in the jig yet.
I was also worried that there might be a little movement / misalignment with just clecoes.
You'll really only be removing a small amount of material from the drilled holes, and it will be "filled" covered by a rivet in the end ... I chose not to worry about it. I guess you could prime the drilled holes after you drill them ... I still may do that, haven't decided yet (not that far along!)

Thomas
-8 wings

I also did it per the manual. I figured they had a reason for doing it in that sequence. Like Thomas said, maybe there can be too much movement with just clecos.

I did touch the holes with rattle-can primer after they were drilled and dimpled/countersunk. I just opened up the garage doors, turned on the fans and sprayed away. If you wait until all the holes in the ribs and rear spar are dimpled and all the holes in the main spar are countersunk, you only have to do the touch up once.

Following the plans!

Have decided to follow the plans. Like you guys, I became a little concerned that there might be too much movement using clecos alone. If I scuff, scratch or damage the priming then I'll do the whole rattle can thing. Thanks.

also following the plans

Jeff,

I too am following the plans here, although I hadn't really planned on reapplying rattlecan primer after drilling, deburring, dimpling the ribs. Perhaps I should though. Once the skeleton is riveted together and on the wing jig (such as it as for prepunched parts), I originally figured it wasn't very practical to then respray all those holes, especially in an enclosed space such as my basement. I suppose you could spray some primer into a cup and then use a Q tip to apply the primer.

Jeff ( from the other Hamilton)
-8 wings

Jeff from Hamilton, or Jeff from Hamilton? Who knows?

I'll only rattle can if I rub off or scratch/scuff the existing primer. Generally, on the empennage I found that the primer prevented me inserting a rivet in the hole and I had to hand run the drill back through anyway to remove the primer, so I don't think it is a major problem.

What are you guys doing for "treating" inside the fuel tanks? I'm thinking just chem-filming (Alodine) but would like to hear your thoughts.

Tank treatment

Nuttin' honey.
Abrade the rivet lines, proseal, rivet.

No other treatment required or specified in the manual.
All fayed surfaces are covered in proseal so they are OK. Open surfaces are alclad which needs nothing. Why put another chemical in there?