cenutting

I'm New Here
I installed a Trio Avionics auto pilot aileron servo against the rib in the right wing right next to the aileron bellcrank. The mounting plate that I designed though covers most the big lightening hole that is used to reach through to buck the spar to bottom skin rivets just outboard of this bay. So I have set all the rest of the rivets for the outer bottom wing skin except for the ones along the spar in the two bays just outboard of the aileron bellcrank. I tried to reach the spar from the second lightening hole back but that will not work for my arms. I also tried to reach from the tip but my long skinny arms don't even come close to reaching into the bays I need. I am thinking of putting in the higher quality blind rivets for the ones I can't reach to buck.
Any comments or other suggestions how to get a really really small person to crawl inside my wing through the tip rib and buck them for me?

I see with all of the letters and numbers after your name, you aren't really the type of person that looks for the easy way out.

So, in that vein, I wouldn't result to using pop rivets to correct a problem that I created. If it were me I would look at the autopilot again but install the right rivets in the wing skin. I have bucked rivets several feet inside a wing using a bar taped to a broomstick.

Good luck!

Craig,
You servo mounting plate design will create inspection problems later on. How hard would it be to drill out those rivet and re-install the mounting plate with nutplates and screws? Just an idea. It will allow you to temporarily remove that mounting plate to buck the rivets AND it will allow removal of the plate to do future corrosion inspections or sheet metal repairs.
Charlie Kuss

Craig

I just about did the same thing...but...I used nutplates to secure the tro servo base to the rib. worked out great for me in the bottom skin bucking process.

Now I can see no reason why an approprite pop rivet wouldn't do the job for you.

Frank @ sgu and slc