burgundyja

Well Known Member
does anyone have a check list to go over before the real wing bolts go in? it is at the airport flaps on alirons on fuel tank brackets on root farings on. i dont want to take them out again.

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and didn't get a response, so I'll respond to your question. I recently mated the wings for good a couple weeks ago. I had the wings on once with hardware bolts, drilled the rear spar and the bottom skin, then pulled the wings, installed nutplates for the bottom skin, assembled wings with final NAS bolts. Here is how I would sum it up:

Things to do before first wing installation:
- Drill holes for wing fairings
- Install nutplates for wing fairings (or can be installed before final installation)

Things to do when wings are on with hardware store bolts:
- Set the wing incidence/sweep by drilling rear spar (take your time on this one)
- Drill bottom fuselage skin holes
- Fit the bracket that mates to the tank bracket (Optional, can be done after final installation)
- Trim flaps, install flap fairing (Optional, can be done after final installation)
- Make up vent and fuel lines between tank and fuselage (Optional, can be done after final installation)
- Admire how cool your airplane looks with wings (mandatory)

Things to do between wing installations:
- Deburr rear spar holes
- Dimple and install nutplates in wing for bottom fuselage skin attachment
- Make sure all the rest of the nutplates are installed for the wing root fairings

Things to do during final wing installation:
- Run wiring through conduit
- Connect passenger vent hose (for -8/8A)
- Run pitot line into fuselage (if needed)

Note on installing NAS bolts - there are numerous threads out there on this. I followed some advice that I read here and poured 93% Isopropyl alcohol in a coffee can and dropped a 1 pound chunk of dry ice along with the bolts. I took out one at a time, dried, lubed, and drove in with a plastic mallet. The bottom bolts I used a rivet gun and worked like magic. Make sure to put the washer on the bolt head for the bottom bolts as you have to turn the bolt for the -A models.

Good Luck

If you've got an A model

Don't forget that the bottom bolts get washers under the head, not under the nut.

Things to do during final wing installation:
- Run wiring through conduit
- Connect passenger vent hose (for -8/8A)
- Run pitot line into fuselage (if needed)

Are you saying to run the wire AFTER the wing installation? If so, why would you not run wires BEFORE the wings go on?

Are you saying to run the wire AFTER the wing installation? If so, why would you not run wires BEFORE the wings go on?
No, I'm saying to run the wires during final wing installation, as in run the wires and as the wing is going into the fuselage, continue to pull them through. That's why the title says "Things to do during wing installation". :cool: I'm sure this is obvious to most, but sometimes one can get so concentrated on a task that he forgets the obvious.