bullfrog

I am getting close to riveting on the bottom wing skins and closing up the wing, so I'm trying to get everything done or rigged up while I have everything open. My question is two-fold. First, how have others handled the wiring to the autopilot roll servo? Did you wire it with one single run all the way to the panel, or run the wires long enough to have a connection just inside the fuselage (for wing removal later)? And second, timing, when did you run the wires? During wing construction, or after the wing was fitted to the fuse?

I have conduit in the wing, so I can pull wires later, but looking at the serial connection on the roll servo it sure seems it would be easier to do now. Any suggestions from those who have gone before would be helpful. Thanks!

All of my connections were done in the wing root, between the fuse and wing. Some are quick connects, crimp connectors, as well as solder and shrink wrap. These wires have a loop (with exception of the quick connects), for cutting and reconnection, in case the wing needs to be removed.

Most of my connections started out as various types of connectors, but usually ended up as splices at the end of the project.

edit: I also have a junction box under my seat, that a few (wing) wires are connected to screw terminals.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
One other option to consider ( might be too late for you, or you might have very good reasons to choose another option, in which case, disregard...) is to mount the servo under the seat. Keeps all the electronic, moving parts in the fuselage, shortens wiring runs, minimizes wing root wiring, etc.

Paul

Before the bottom skins

I got the wing servo installed before the bottom skin. Also left servo wire long enough to go all the way to panel. I ran the servo wire separate from everything else, ie not in my conduit because I have heard of sporadic servo inputs from noisy wires nearby. Maybe old wives tail but it was so easy to run it separately with the bottom skin off.

Take Care

An option I am considering is just leaving the bottom skin off until I HAVE to attach it. That way changes can be made as the panel comes together etc. May be something to consider.