painless

Well Known Member
G'morning group...

I am close to transporting my 6A to the airport (this after 7.5 years!) and was wondering about the sequence of events centered around attaching the wings. The fuslelage skins overlap and are screwed to the bottom wing skins at the wing root, so does that mean I have to install the wings, set the incidence, drill the holes for these screws and then take the wings out again so that deburring, dimpling and platenut installation can be done?? :eek:

Guess I better plan on plenty of coffee and doughnuts to last awhile for all my helpers so they stick around for the duration!

Regards

That's about it, Jeff. Pretty much the same on a 7(A). The root fairings are all trimmed up and drilled during the wing incidence and alignment phase, then the wings removed to clean up drill holes, dimple, and install platenuts. Unfortunately necessary to install the wings temporarily once before the final installation. Usually not as bad as feared.

Roberta

Thanks Roberta. I think your 7A wing attach is less involved than a 6A though. More bolts to deal with in a 6A. Oh well.....the airport rats at MNM need something to do anyway! ;)

Regards,

Yep, the wings will likely "slide" in and out a few times. Once in place, installing the temporary spar bolts is not likely to be accomplished with breathtaking speed. Just leveling the aircraft and establishing the AOI can be time consuming. If you have a forward sweep condition which is quite common, even a quickbuild RV-6A builder I know had it, then you've got some judicious trimming to do. Wings in, wings out. The wings have to be temporarily displaced to more easily access and drill the locations for the left and right fuel tank attach brackets. This task is best done after the AOI is established and a 5/16 bolt pinned into the rear spar clevis. While the wings are temporarily in place, you will want to locate and final trim the (kit supplied) wing root fairings, then drill out the hole pattern for both while you are at it. The fairings normally attach with screws and nutplates....and you guessed it...the wings will have to be at least partially displaced to install the nutplates. I will happily defer to your uncommon and superior skill set if you and a few helpers are going to accomplish all these tasks over one coffee and donut session. Better double lock the doors and put bars across the windows to keep em there! Then plan on breakfast, lunch and dinner to sustain your helpers over at least a few days. Good luck Painless, keep us informed.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

painless said:
G'morning group...

I am close to transporting my 6A to the airport (this after 7.5 years!) and was wondering about the sequence of events centered around attaching the wings. The fuslelage skins overlap and are screwed to the bottom wing skins at the wing root, so does that mean I have to install the wings, set the incidence, drill the holes for these screws and then take the wings out again so that deburring, dimpling and platenut installation can be done?? :eek:

Guess I better plan on plenty of coffee and doughnuts to last awhile for all my helpers so they stick around for the duration!

Regards

Thanks Rick. I think what I will do is have an RV "Conclave". Lock all the airport buzzards in my hangar. White smoke will signal that the wings are all attached! :)

Regards,

I'll be looking forward to seeing your bird at EAA '05? My neighbor is finishing up his W8 Tailwind. Hoping to get him up there with it this year. EAA takes on a new and special meaning when you have your homebuilt plane there.

Good luck!!

Roberta

Thanks Roberta. Not so sure that I will make it to Osh with the RV this year. Lots to do before then. We will see. Will definitely be there for 2006. I'm looking forward to sitting infront of N782P at Osh and watching the show go by! :)

Regards