PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm looking for opinions about building the wings, both at the same time. I have plenty of room, so that's not the question. I've gotten both main and rear spars already complete along with all the ribs. I've assembled the left ribs and spars and was getting ready to put it on the stand and really think that building them both at once would be beneficial. Then after sleeping on it, thought that maybe some pitfalls could be avoided in the second wing, after learning on the first one.

All opinions are appreciated.

Paul Rose
RV-9A Wings

Paul,

I'm about at the same stage as you and have decided to go with both at the same time. Not sure if this is best, but it seems more efficient in terms of a manufacturing process.

I built my wings one at a time on my -6. I am working on the wings now for a -7 and am building them both at the same time. I really believe it is faster in the long run to do them both at the same time. I tended to forget from one wing to the other, and had to go back and review the plans a lot.

By doing them both at the same time, you get all the work done for both wings at the same time and it really seemed to go faster. (The pre-punched wings are amazing. I can't believe the fit.)

FWIW
Wes

We, my son and I, are going to do both at the same time. Spacing the jigs far enough apart that we can work in between them. But, hey, what do I know. I am 2 years from retirement and got hooked on this project with my youngest son who is an aircraft mechanic for corporate business jets in the local Dallas area ... I just pay the bills!

You can build two simultaneously, but it still takes twice the assembly effort of one, and there's no reducing initial noodling time. The instructions aren't perfect, BTW; don't get lead down the garden path twice. Meanwhile, you've squashed your learning curve, the principal benefit of one-at-a-time being that you may want to deviate from the plans on the second wing for reasons of modification, access, tools available, and avoid making the same mistake twice. You WILL see things you'd do differently after having built one wing.

Fabricating all components when tool set-ups are involved does save a bit of time, provided you get it right from the get-go, often only apparent at installation. But such savings are overwhelmed by the amount of time translating instructions/plans into action, so it's not a biggie.

The second wing will go together amazingly quickly. As a percentage of the airframe, the wings yield the largest chunks for the least effort, so I do not believe it is a wise choice hoping to beat the clock while limiting learning.

John Siebold
-7 and (lighter, more hp) -7

Same time is no question more efficient. You will have some brain teasers on lefts and rights, but you will work it out. Imagine if you were building 10 wings. Much better to do at the same time.

Best,

Build them both at the same time

I just finished my 8 wings last week. I am glad that I did them both at the same time. I would accomplish each major stage on one wing and then do the same thing with the other. For example, I drilled the skins on the left wing and then did the same on the right. Then, I would debur, scuff, dimple and prime the skins for each wing. Believe it or not, if there were several months between the wings, you would probably forget how you solved each construction problem on the first wing. I agree with everyone else. Build them both at the same time.

Both It is.

Since my original post, I mounted both stands to the floor and proceeded. I'm really glad I did. The only part that's at all annoying is deburring the skins for one, only to turn around and have to do the other one. That's probably my least enjoyed task of this whole build process. I have to stay really focused to get it done. Anyway, after figuring out the first leading edge, the second almost fell together. The only pitfall I've run into is with clecoes. Obviously the tool guys only put in the kits what's recommended but if you're doing both at once, you'll need at least a couple hundred more clecoes. That being said, I would still do it again this way.

PaulR said:
The only pitfall I've run into is with clecoes. Obviously the tool guys only put in the kits what's recommended but if you're doing both at once, you'll need at least a couple hundred more clecoes.
Aint that the truth - I've got at least 500 silver (3/32") clecoes, and still felt I was short. I riveted both leading edge skins to thier ribs to free a bunch up, and believe I have enough now to carry me through.

PaulR said:
Since my original post, I mounted both stands to the floor and proceeded. I'm really glad I did. The only part that's at all annoying is deburring the skins for one, only to turn around and have to do the other one. That's probably my least enjoyed task of this whole build process. I have to stay really focused to get it done. Anyway, after figuring out the first leading edge, the second almost fell together. The only pitfall I've run into is with clecoes. Obviously the tool guys only put in the kits what's recommended but if you're doing both at once, you'll need at least a couple hundred more clecoes. That being said, I would still do it again this way.
Hi PaulR - I'm about to make the decision you just made. Can you post pictures of your wing stands?

Thanks!

compromise?

If space is an issue, and you only want to have one wing on the stand at a time, can you do a compromise between the one-at-a-time and one-after-the-other approaches? Like build both spars, put one on the stand to match-drill the skins and stuff, and when you take it off and disassemble for deburring, first put the other wing on the stand and do the match-drilling for that wing? Kind of doing both wings piecewise in parallel?

Pictures

Dave,
Here's a couple of pictures I picked out for you. I hope they help. If you need anything further send me a pm or e-mail and I'll try to help. I built the stands for a buddy building a 7A near here and when he got done with them I was ready. They are pretty much like Rudi Greyling posted about some time ago.
I see you're from CR. I grew up 50 mile from there and got my PPL at Greencastle. I visit Belle Plaine at least a couple times a year to see my mom. Maybe when I come up in the spring (been in the south so long I don't do snow) we can get together. You can look at some more pictures if you care too at this link: http://www.mykitlog.com/PRose

Last edited:
Counter-Point

This may be counter to the general opinion on this thread, but what I found after constructing my wings, was that it took me 173 hours on the first wing (including the tank), and 114 on the second.

Even with the additional space, I'd be tempted to completely build the first, then do the second.

Then again, in the grand scheme of things, it probably just doesn't matter.

Jim

Twice the Fun!

Just completed both wings (inspected on Monday). I would definately do both at the same time. I have a short memory, so I found it useful to apply techniques learned from the left wing to the right. Plus you get on a roll with forming ribs, fabricating parts, priming, dimpling skins, and coercing your better half with the riveting when that time comes.