bret

Well Known Member
Has anyone done any stall speed test before and after installing their wing walk grip tape. Got to thinking.....I know....bad for me....but you would think that if frost on top the wing can cause early AOA air flow separation, maybe this could too? or not? I ask this because I was thinking of installing something different than sand paper to the wing for kneeling down on?

The primary influence of frost or other contaminants on an airfoil is on the fwd portion (1/3 or so), so wing walk is not likely to have much influence. Particularly the self stick material that is used by the majority of the RV fleet (it is far from being sand paper texture).

All parts matter : wing / fuselage gap rubber strip

I was flying an airshow at Cozad NE about 6 weeks ago. The rubber gap seal on the right wing between the wing and fuselage came loose and started beating on the side of the plane. I terminated my routine and when I landed, instead of reinstalling it I just peeled it all the way off and flew without it the next day..... No need to beat me up..... I've done a lot of that already..... Because...

The next day during the Show I got into pretty heavy wing/elevator (?) buffett and had to relax my pull on the backside of a reverse Cuban 8 to keep from stalling the wing/elevator on that side????? My normal floor on that maneuver is 500' but I ended up at 300'. Not crazy but lower than my target. During the 3rd maneuver in the video watch for the sparation and turbulance in the smoke on the right wing (left side of the screen as you watch the video). Hopefully others can learn from my mistake. I'm not sure about walkways but fairings and gap seals have found a new respect with me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjUKSYalvQ

Bob

Last edited:
The wing fuse junction is a known sensitive area near stall aoa on lots of airplanes. Adding fairings there can lower stall speed and clean up the flow (reduce buffeting) over the elevator. You see fairings there or LE extensions or little vortilons on numerous airplanes. So not surprising that you experienced a change in handling when pulling G. Most of us would probably not notice it just cruising around.

Cool video!! Nice flying.

Last edited:
I was flying an airshow at Cozad NE about 6 weeks ago. The rubber gap seal on the right wing between the wing and fuselage came loose and started beating on the side of the plane. I terminated my routine and when I landed, instead of reinstalling it I just peeled it all the way off and flew without it the next day..... No need to beat me up..... I've done a lot of that already..... Because...
Bob

Mine came loose as well on my purchased -8. What did you do to attach it permanently Bob? Currently I have a small piece of speed tape holding down the trailing end.