GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
I recently trial fitted my wings on my RV-6 QB to get position marks for tubing, etc. (I DO NOT intend to fit and drill the rear spar now)

Question: Is there any reason I can't install the ailerons/flaps while the wings are installed on a leveled fuselage. I have seen many builder websites showing a vertical aileron/flap installation using the wing jig but only one with a "horizontal" install (on the fuse). My wings are obviously QB and mostly finished and don't need to be kept in alignment.

I plan on using the template (mostly just to hold the ailerons/flaps) while I align the brackets using the wing/aileron tooling holes and a laser prior to drilling. I will also use some sort of metal strips to help insure that the airfoil shape is maintained.

According to everything I have read about the airfoil template, it is mostly useless (didn't have one drawn on my wing crate either) except to hold the surfaces up.

Don't ask me why but I am just getting around to installing my ailerons and flaps on the wings but I am.

That will work. Use the wood templates like you said to hold parts from falling to the floor. I clamped heavy flexible strips of steel ( like steel yardsticks) to my wings and ailerons to line them up while in the horizontal position. I know that on some models that the tooling holes line up also.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

My tooling holes lined up...

Gary,

My holes all lined up when I positioned my ailerons on the wings in the jig. I made a template for the aileron/wing and used that to locate the flaps' positions, as well as both ends of the ailerons. If I remember right, the template also helped me locate the trailing edges of the aileron relative to the flap and vice versa, so that the edges were even. I think I positioned the aileron first and then the flap, because locating and drilling the flap hinge to the skin was easier.

HTH:eek: