mrj22

I thought I would share a web site I found that has a great visual depiction of the winds. There is also an android app. The detailed forecast also shows a depiction of forecast cloud layers which I found helpful. The site and app are free. www.windyty.com

Mark

This looks great!

If this is accurate it will be very good for flight planning. Like next Thursday morning early takeoff for SnF.
Thanks!

Notes from a user

Bobby,

You asked about the accuracy of the forecast on Windyty. I have used Windyty for about 6 months for basic flight planning. I have found it is accurate as anything else out there. Due to the very friendly user interface, I have started going to Windyty first if I want to figure out if I want to go fly somewhere.

As a tip, you can send in a recommendation to link to webcams. There are several webcams at my home airport of KFLY, so I sent that link to the Windyty folks. When you pull up the meteogram for your airport, the webcams are right there. See here as an example for KFLY. This has been really useful this winter, as I can check to see if the airport has been plowed yet!

Another nice feature is that they are just sampling the output from a model. So you can get meteograms for little airports that do not report any weather at all. While you of course are on your own as to how much to trust them, some information is better than none IMHO.

cheers

Geoff