dessertire

Hello everyone. My name is Carlo and I'm the forum representative for Desser Tire, or also known as VansAircraftTires.com on this site.

Our sister company Cee Baileys Aircraft Plastics needs your help! We are only looking for one member for each aircraft, so it's basically first come first serve. Please see below.

We are looking for a set of RV-6 glass, complete windshield, slider and tip up canopy for prototyping. Also a complete set of RV-7, and an RV-12 canopy. We would compensate by providing a set of new glass for your aircraft, or tires provided by our parent company, Desser Tire. We are located in Montebello, CA., but we have reps that travel the Western US, who could possibly pick up your old glass at your location and convenience. Old glass can be cracked, or we could use a new piece that has been broken, but not in pieces. We have the two piece glass canopy molds for the 6, that we provided for the Nigerian Aircraft,

Completed Projects:

1. RV-10 (finished) special thanks to member ReidVaitor for making this happen.

If interested, please e-mail me with your:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number
  • Model of Aircraft
  • Location of parts

Please do not call. E-mail only.

Please send to: [email protected]

Thanks for looking,

- Carlo
VansAircraftires.com

WS-RV10-1.jpg

$450 + $150 for shipping by truck freight (item is oversized). $600 shipped is the price on our web site. Due to the item being oversized, we cannot offer free shipping. Contact us for local pickup and international orders. [/SIZE]Now available for purchase

WL-RV-10-3.jpg

WL-RV-10-1.jpg

$40 each or $75 a pair. Now available for purchase.

Now Available from Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics, Inc.

What if you could pay about the same price as the factory, for a windshield that will fit into your airframe, with minimal trim, saving you hours of work and aggravation?

Our RV10 windshield is manufactured from .250, aircraft grade acrylic. Our windshield is "almost net trim" to the RV10 airframe. What this means to the builder is that we have taken the steps to produce an almost final windshield, that will fit onto your aircraft, with a minimum of grinding to fit the airframe. Unlike the factory windshield, you do not have to saw your initial trim to the scribe line, then go through hours and hours of installing the shield on the airframe, marking for your next trim, taking the windshield off, re-grinding, then re-fitting and going through the same routine time and time again, each time taking the risk of damaging or scratching your shield like so many of your fellow builders.

How did we do this? At Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics, Inc., we strive for a minimum trim windshield with all of our aircraft products, including all of our type certificated PMA windshields that we produce for Cessnas, Beechcraft, Mooney, Piper, etc. We have over 800 PMA's, and have been in the aircraft windshield business since 1955. We modeled our RV10 windshield from the RV10 airframe, it is virtually identical to the OEM windshield, with the exception of the net trim configuration, and we made a slight correction on our mold, which eliminates the 1/4" or so gap, or bulge on the bottom right edge(co-pilot side) , so it is now a flush fit, identical to the pilot side in that specific area. We also taper the trailing edge of the shield along the top, where the shield meets the composite bow. This helps the fit, as the composite windshield bow has varying angle radiuses in the bow joggle, and the taper helps fit the windshield flush to the composite airframe.

How much time can I save? This would vary with each builder, but we estimate anywhere from 4-12 hours of tedious work, not to mention that each time you mark, remove, reinstall the windshield, your chances go up in damaging or scratching your new shield. Plus, at Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics, Inc. we use a thicker, spray-on protective coating (Spraylat)on the glass, which has much better scratch resistant properties than the stretch wrap on the original glass..

How much extra does this cost? How much is your time worth? We are offering the windshield in this configuration for $450.00/clear and $485.00/gray tint, which is about the same price as the factory RV-10 windshield (part# C1005).

Last edited:
You may want to consider the 7. There will be a lot larger customer base that is building.

Would they not all be a bit different.

Since they are cut from one piece, canopy and wind screen together, and fit per application, there might be some differences in the different builds. If your market is replacement windscreens, you might consider making them a bit oversized for final trim to be done in the field. At least that is the case for the 4 and 6. The other newer models may be more exact.
Others here that have replaced their wind screen or canopy might be able to offer more insight.

Last edited:
Since they are cut from one piece, canopy and wind screen together, and fit per application, there might be some differences in the different builds. If your market is replacement windscreens, you might consider making them a bit oversized for final trim to be done in the field. At least that is the case for the 4 and 6. The other newer models may be more exact.
Others here that have replaced their wind screen or canopy might be able to offer more insight.

Jon,

Thanks for the tip. We have already taken this into consideration when building these replacement windscreens, all shields will be built over sized so the kit builder may trim it to their specs. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Welcome Desser...

....I've been using their recapped tires on my Air Tractors now, for what must be 20 years or more...smooth, balanced and outlive new tires by a substantial margin.

Best,

....I've been using their recapped tires on my Air Tractors now, for what must be 20 years or more...smooth, balanced and outlive new tires by a substantial margin.

Best,

Pierre, thank you for being a long and loyal customer. If you have any questions, or need anything, please don't hesitate to contact anyone here at Desser or you may PM me directly. :)

- Carlo

Hello everyone. My name is Carlo and I'm the forum representative for Desser Tire, or also known as VansAircraftTires.com on this site.

Our sister company Cee Baileys Aircraft Plastics needs your help! We are only looking for one member for each aircraft, so it's basically first come first serve. Please see below.

We are looking for a set of RV-6 glass, complete windshield, slider and tip up canopy for prototyping. Also a complete set of RV-7, RV-10 glass, and an RV-12 canopy. We would compensate by providing a set of new glass for your aircraft, or tires provided by our parent company, Desser Tire. We are located in Montebello, CA., but we have reps that travel the Western US, who could possibly pick up your old glass at your location and convenience. Old glass can be cracked, or we could use a new piece that has been broken, but not in pieces. We have the two piece glass canopy molds for the 6, that we provided for the Nigerian Aircraft,

If interested, please e-mail me with your:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number
  • Model of Aircraft
  • Location of parts

Please do not call. E-mail only.

Please send to: [email protected]

Thanks for looking,

- Carlo
VansAircraftires.com

Carlo;
I installed the Cee Baileys windscreen on the RV-10 today. The fit is excellent and far surpasses the stock screen I gave Cee Baileys. Looks great on the plane. The wingtip lenses are absolutely fantastic, much better quality and appears more durable as well.
Glad Desser/Cee Baileys has chosen to pursue providing these parts to builders as they are excellent replacements for the stock offering.
Pascal
RV-10

I may be wrong, but isn't the canopy the same part on the -6, -7, and -9?

Are you going to suppply the whole canopy, or just the windscreen, which is cut fom the front 3rd of the canopy?

WS-RV10-1.jpg

$450 + $150 for shipping by truck freight (item is oversized). $600 shipped is the price on our web site. Due to the item being oversized, we cannot offer free shipping. Contact us for local pickup and international orders. [/SIZE]Now available for purchase

WL-RV-10-1.jpg

$40 each or $75 a pair. Now available for purchase.

Now Available from Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics, Inc.

What if you could pay about the same price as the factory, for a windshield that will fit into your airframe, with minimal trim, saving you hours of work and aggravation?

Our RV10 windshield is manufactured from .250, aircraft grade acrylic. Our windshield is "almost net trim" to the RV10 airframe. What this means to the builder is that we have taken the steps to produce an almost final windshield, that will fit onto your aircraft, with a minimum of grinding to fit the airframe. Unlike the factory windshield, you do not have to saw your initial trim to the scribe line, then go through hours and hours of installing the shield on the airframe, marking for your next trim, taking the windshield off, re-grinding, then re-fitting and going through the same routine time and time again, each time taking the risk of damaging or scratching your shield like so many of your fellow builders.

How did we do this? At Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics, Inc., we strive for a minimum trim windshield with all of our aircraft products, including all of our type certificated PMA windshields that we produce for Cessnas, Beechcraft, Mooney, Piper, etc. We have over 800 PMA's, and have been in the aircraft windshield business since 1955. We modeled our RV10 windshield from the RV10 airframe, it is virtually identical to the OEM windshield, with the exception of the net trim configuration, and we made a slight correction on our mold, which eliminates the 1/4" or so gap, or bulge on the bottom right edge(co-pilot side) , so it is now a flush fit, identical to the pilot side in that specific area. We also taper the trailing edge of the shield along the top, where the shield meets the composite bow. This helps the fit, as the composite windshield bow has varying angle radiuses in the bow joggle, and the taper helps fit the windshield flush to the composite airframe.

How much time can I save? This would vary with each builder, but we estimate anywhere from 4-12 hours of tedious work, not to mention that each time you mark, remove, reinstall the windshield, your chances go up in damaging or scratching your new shield. Plus, at Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics, Inc. we use a thicker, spray-on protective coating (Spraylat)on the glass, which has much better scratch resistant properties than the stretch wrap on the original glass..

How much extra does this cost? How much is your time worth? We are offering the windshield in this configuration for $450.00/clear and $485.00/gray tint, which is about the same price as the factory RV-10 windshield (part# C1005).

Do you have anything else for the RV10?

We do. We offer the same, minimal trim WING TIP lenses for the RV10 aircraft. These can be purchased in either left or right, or as a set. We did the same for the lenses as we did on the windshield. We manufacture each lens, unlike the factory "bathtub" lens which has to be cut in half, then cut and ground to fit the left and right joggle in the wing tips. This not only saves time, but also eliminates the possibility of breaking the fragile .060 lens while grinding to fit. Our lenses will arrive ready to install, and you can purchase them in two versions, un-drilled and drilled. For builders who have already fit the lenses to their wingtips, get the un-drilled. Just mark lens to your existing attachment holes, drill and install. (there may be some slight sanding needed on the lens or wingtip joggle, as we have experienced some wingtips with gel coat buildup in the joggle that must be removed for a true, flush fit. For the builder who has not yet installed the lens, get the drilled version. These are pre-drilled, de-burred and 100 degree countersunk, ready to be installed. Just fit the lenses, mark the drilling point on the wingtip through the lens, drill the wingtip and install your attaching hardware to the wingtip. Our lenses are made from acrylic, not PETG, so it is more resilient and much more UV resistant than the OEM lens. They are a fraction more expensive than the factory, but the same argument as above holds for the lenses. 40.00/each 75.00/set, drilled or undrilled.

In the 1st quarter, 2011, we will also be offering the RV10 door and rear windows in exact, net trim configuration, ready to install, no trimming necessary. We are using the same technique that we utilize for another composite airframe OEM that we manufacture windows for, in that the window will fit into the joggle, with a gap tolerance spacing between the glass and the airframe of about 3/32" , all around the circumference of the windows. This will allow the builder to temporarily tape the windows to the aircraft, drill pilot holes in the joggle for Clecos, between the glass and airframe (to fixture the glass to the aircraft while being glued), and glue the windows in place, WITH AN EVEN GAP SPACING for all windows. This is as simple as it gets, we have no estimates on the hours saved using this methodology, however, one OEM that we supply windows to who uses this exact method, estimates the builder saves 45 hours of work (5 windows, the 5th being the skylight) Pricing will follow in the coming weeks.

rv10seats.jpg

Our trimming/sewing department also has RV10 cowl plugs, with embroidered "N" numbers. 65.00. We also are an OEM supplier to furnish and build the interiors and seats for a well known composite kit manufacturer in the Pacific Northwest, if anyone is interested in this type of work for your RV, please contact me directly at [email protected]

Last edited:

Are you going to suppply the whole canopy, or just the windscreen, which is cut fom the front 3rd of the canopy?

We're going to have two molds.

1. The RV Slider builder would have the option of buying just the windshield, or the slider canopy only , or both as one unit

2. The Tilt-up builder will have the option of : just the front tilt up canopy, the rear fixed canopy, or both as one unit.

Thickness and weight difference...

...between the Van's supplied tip-up canopy and Cee Bailey version.

Thanks,
LarryT

1. The RV Slider builder would have the option of buying just the windshield, or the slider canopy only , or both as one unit

2. The Tilt-up builder will have the option of : just the front tilt up canopy, the rear fixed canopy, or both as one unit.

I ran into this while working on the carbon fiber canopy system (don't ask--I REALLY want to forget about that.) The 6 has a slightly different forward cowl contour. Enough that the frames wouldn't fit, but perhaps not enough that it would hurt when installing a windscreen. In fact, I am almost sure it wouldn't as the supplied canopies (from Van's) are identical.

I do hope you will be able to provide a thicker windscreen, and a tinted slider. That combo would be the best of both worlds; clear forward, and some sun protection from above. Plus a little more bird-strike protection. Just a thought...

Bob

Any idea how long until you might have something ready for a -7/slider? I am hoping to make some finish kit decisions before the new year and avoid a possible vans new year price increase.

Thanks,
Bryan