LyleM

I'm about to fiberglass the windshield in place on my -8 and want to make sure I don't stick the canopy to it. Instructions say to use a release solution or mylar packaging tap. It would seem that the tape thickness would prevent a nice fit. I'm thinking Plastiease 512B or Meguiar's #8 wax. Any suggestions? Thanks

I'm about to fiberglass the windshield in place on my -8 and want to make sure I don't stick the canopy to it. Instructions say to use a release solution or mylar packaging tap. It would seem that the tape thickness would prevent a nice fit. I'm thinking Plastiease 512B or Meguiar's #8 wax. Any suggestions? Thanks
If you apply packing tape carefully, it does a very nice job of providing the non-stick you want along with a very thin gap. Pull off a piece of packing tape and try to measure its thickness.

Lyle,
I just rebuilt my canopy. It was not as bad as I expected. I used plastic pipe tape and it worked great.

This is how I taped it before epoxy. The plastic tape bends around the curves very much like pin stripe tape. It is 20 mil thick so great protection. A good coat of wax and it popped off great.

Here is the rough finished piece after pulling it off the canopy. I will sand, prime, and then glue it on.
20_zpsbbvslnnz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There are a few more pictures of my canopy rebuild here. Hope the links still work!
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/rockwoodrv9a/library/rv9a?sort=3&page=1