ILikePike

Well Known Member
What is a good product/method to caulk the windsceen to top skin inside joint? I am using the plans method on the canopy and winscreen.

I will be glad when this canopy/windsrceen deal is done, I would rather be building fuel tanks.

I used 3m 5200 fast set, in black. Worked for me. You can get it at your local marine supply or order online.

bird

I used Sikaflex, it is used to bond metals and plastics. It is also used to repair rotor blades....

I think it is called Sikaflex 221

Do you have to prime for this application? With the acute angle I can envision a big mess. On the glair shield. How have others taped and or sealed this area neatly?

Do you have to prime for this application? With the acute angle I can envision a big mess. On the glair shield. How have others taped and or sealed this area neatly?

I SIKA'd my RV-7 slider canopy. Prior to gluing, with the windscreen clamped/clipped into place, I ran a popsickle stick along the inside and outside angles slightly scraping the windscreen and top skin leaving the slightest mark on the canopy and skin. I then removed the windscreen and taped with electrical tape along these lines on both the windscreen and skin. I then sanded, cleaned and SIKA-primed both the windscreen and skin. Next, I remounted the windscreen and applied SIKA glue with a caulking gun and used the same popsickle stick to make a nice fairing with the glue tape-edge to tape-edge. After the glue set I removed the tape and, voilla, a perfectly neat fairing edge on both the windscreen and top skin both inside and out. I did the same on the forward and rear sides of the roll bar. This really turned out nice.

I'm sure this method (popsickle stick/tape) could be used with plans mounting and proseal or other sealant in the inside on the RV-8 windscreen as well, as long as you apply tape before final fit of the windscreen. SIKA is about the same consistency as proseal, perhaps a little more firm, when applied.

Last edited: