jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Wondering if I made a major boo boo here. My windscreen plexi-glass at the aft corner at the roll bar is just below the top edge of the F7106 forward top skin at this same location. Maybe I have a 1/4 inch overlap. Thought at first it I cut it too high up, then looking at Drwgs 17A and the side view of 43, it shows the windscreen meeting the aft top of the forward top skin at this location with no overlap. Hope you can visualize what I am saying. Got to figure out how to post a picture.

Was wondering what others have found and done. Am I OK??

Jim

Hi Jim-
It really doesn't matter where you cut the plexi here because you'll be fairing over any gap anyway. Some people leave it long, some trim it even with the skin per plans. Mine is the latter (and even comes up a slight bit in one spot) but it will all be covered with fiberglass anyway. Just trim it close and you'll be fine.
Hope this helps.

Steve,

Thanks for the reassuring advice. At the time I was telling myself now keep your cool, keep your cool, but it was fixing anything. Now I can breathe again.

Jim

Yes, part of the problem, Jim, is that Van's instructions have you trim up the sides of the big bubble before you make the big cut (splitting the bubble into front and back). In my case, following their directions, I left myself no ability to leave it long. In retrospect, as I and others have noted in previous threads, it would be better to make the big cut before trimming up the sides at all. All in all, though, no big deal. Good luck with rest of the windscreen and canopy!