prkaye

Well Known Member
Cut my canopy today... cutting went fine (relieved to have that done).
Ended the day by layng the canpy and windscreen on the frame, on the plane, for fun. The windscreen is not sitting properly... it looks like the forward center "lip" on the plexi is preventing the aft edge of the windscreen from lining up with the roll bar. The lip is making the front of the windscreen sit too high, causing the whole thing to be tilted fore/aft (so the aft bottom corners are well forward of the roll bar).

Question... when trimming the windshield, can this lip be removed so the edge of the plexy is butting against the turtledeck, or does the lip need to be there so the front of the windsheild is laying down flat against the skin?

Wind screen

Sounds like you are building a slider. The lip should be trimmed from the wind screen. All factory edges get trimmed. The cut edge of the wind screen will butt-up to the skin and get clipped in place if you plan to glass it in. I went with an aluminum setup.
Canopy.jpg

Sounds like you are building a slider. The lip should be trimmed from the wind screen. All factory edges get trimmed. The cut edge of the wind screen will butt-up to the skin and get clipped in place if you plan to glass it in. I went with an aluminum setup.
Canopy.jpg

Interesting photo...it looks like your windscreen is attached with aluminum. What is it? I'll be doing this part in the next couple of months (I hope) and would like it to look nice.

That is some beautiful metal work!

Did you make the aluminum trim or buy it out? I would be interested in more details about it.

Dan Langhout

Your AL trim looks gorgeous. For those who are handy with forming aluminum, that is the way to go for either slider or tipup. Good Job!!

Roberta