RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am about ready to lay up my windscreen fairing but I am wrestling with one issue. I used Sika and the glue line on the canopy side of things is fairly wide. In order to cover this area entirely when the canopy is closed I will need a windscreen fairing that will be 2 3/4" wide (this covers the gap on the canopy and runs forward to just at the forward side of the roll bar. My worry is this is too large. If I accept that the glue line will show when the canopy is closed I can get by with a 2.5" wide fairing, maybe a little less than that.

I would like to know how wide most typically make this fairing, have you had issues with banging it getting in and out? Oh I plan to lay mine up so the skirt fits under the fairing, I worry about leaks with a butt joint.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Width

Mike,

I measured mine and it is 2 inches. Here's a couple of pics of mine I recently finished. I believe there is an inch plus of overhang on the slider...

I will have some handles on the roll bar for personal lift assist...

Don

Last edited:
Mine is 2.25 wide, with a little over a half inch overhang behind the windscreen. The gap between the canopy and windscreen is very tight though, so this half inch is plenty to seal. It does not overhang enough to cover the canopy bow or rivets however - I'd rather use paint for that bit of cosmetic touchup.

I also used 3 plies of 6 oz. carbon fiber on a 30 and 45 degree bias. The three plies allowed it to lay down nice and flat (unlike many examples I've seen), while the carbon fiber provided the stiffnes needed to survive day to day use. There is almost no filler, and it looks as flat as a piece of masking tape. Considering the high velocity of the air passing over the canopy, I felt this was an area that deserved a lot of attention.