JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Probably a goofy question but: Should I cover the #6 screws holding the windscreen to the roll bar with epoxy so they are invisible and thus smoother
? It seems to me that covering them would make any future replacement of the windscreen difficult but wouldnt I have to deystroy the fairing anyway as it is attached to the fuse at the sides? Any pictures of completed roll bar fairings would be greatly appreciated.

Someday there will be many layers of resin & cloth over these screws.

I've always said, that if I have to replace the windscreen, then I'll just junk the airplane! :D

L.Adamson RV6A

Leave 'em

Here's a picture of the finished windshield 'glass layup on our 6A. We also have a generous radius on the lower front of the windshield for looks and aerodynamics. Your screws will all be covered up.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
L.Adamson said:
Someday there will be many layers of resin & cloth over these screws.

I've always said, that if I have to replace the windscreen, then I'll just junk the airplane! :D

L.Adamson RV6A
And I would like to add that when making the fairing along the top, don't make it too thin as passengers/guests/Young Eagles tend to sometimes 'kick' it near the bottom with their foot when getting in/out. I made mine a bit thicker near the bottom on each side; I'm guessing at least 3/16" ;) Rosie

Laminate in a few layers of carbon fiber as well. My fairing is brutishly strong and no thicker than one formed from only fiberglass. You do tend to grab onto it and lever yourself into and out of the airplane with it.

Carbon fiber??

Hi Brian,
Do you use the same epoxy resins/hardener with carbon fiber? I've been wanting to experiment with CF but haven't researched it much. Does it perform better with it's own dedicated resins/hardeners or do you just use West system?
Thanks,