FlyGood

I looked at the photo of three RV-8s in formation that accompanied the note about Jim Gray's switch from Northwest/Delta pilot to full time RV-8 pilot. Congratulations, Jim!

I like the profiles of the first two canopies and windscreens, particularly the one on dash-2. Does anyone know who makes them?

Flygood,
Check out this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45906&highlight=speed+sloped+windshield
I'm doing a modified version of what you mentioned in Jim's photo.
FP26062009A0000Y.jpg

Happy hunting!

That is cool looking.
I was strongly inclined to do it also, but a guy with an RV-7 (or RV-6) tapped one on over the stock W/S and did some speed trials.....no benefit. He had photos and everything. I thought he did a good trial, so I considered the work and let the idea go. I figured it was close enough to an RV-8 to accept the data.
I did change my fuel tank pickups to finger strainers in 1/4" gusset plates in the aft lower corners of the tanks (ala John Ammeter). That taught me a lesson. Modifications add a lot of time and need to be considered carefully. In this case I'm exempt from the Van's service bulletin, so I guess it was worth it.

It is indeed a flat wrap, and if you don't wish to DIY, call Airplane Plastics at 937.669.2677 and they'll gladly make one for you. That's how I got mine.

The normal windscreen/canopy formed by "blowing" has compound curves. The flatwrap windscreen does not, and can thus be made from a flat piece without stretch forming.

I would think the windshield top should have some curvature to match the roll bar and leading edge shape of the canopy. For me a flat wrap was not quite right. I worked real hard to keep this curve smooth with the stock canopy/winshield. If you make the "Big Cut" wrong, there can be an odd angle there after the windshield and canopy are finally installed. Next time you go to an RV gathering, check this area out. Some planes have a pucker here from the rivets pulling down, others form a ridge. I think this spot can add a lot of drag from disrupted air flow, and possibly plume drag if there is no weather strip.
Maybe builders who have already dealt with this can add something?