Stu McCurdy

Well Known Member
While flying Friday and Saturday, 31 Oct-1 Nov, three members of Falcon Fllight with Garmin 396/496 onboard all experienced continuous "Waiting for Data" indications when checking Winds Aloft. Indication was continuous all day, both days. Since all three of us experienced it, I assume it was not our individual units, rather a system upload error. Anybody know what the problem was or when it will be fixed?

While flying Friday and Saturday, 31 Oct-1 Nov, three members of Falcon Fllight with Garmin 396/496 onboard all experienced continuous "Waiting for Data" indications when checking Winds Aloft. Indication was continuous all day, both days. Since all three of us experienced it, I assume it was not our individual units, rather a system upload error. Anybody know what the problem was or when it will be fixed?

Don't know the answer, but flying Saturday and Sunday afternoon it did not work for me either. Everything else was normal so I assume there is a XM problem. :(

same here! I was wondering what happened, so I'm glad to hear it wasn't me or my unit

Wind Aloft

Lost the last message I tried to send, but, anyway winds aloft should be fixed now. Server or data format problem at XM or WX Worx. Ended up with great response from WX Worx and Garmin after spending two days chasing it through the XM maze. Really got frustrated with audio response unit at XM but finally got Glenn at WX Worx and Bob Cooper at Garmin. Both were helpful and got it fixed. Biggest problem I noticed was that several people at Garmin knew of the problem but apparently communications between Garmin and XM seems to be pretty lax. Hope this helps.

You enter figures..

....and it calculates them, according to the manual, page 50, from what I gather, or maybe the higher priced WX sub includes that.

Regards,

I didn't know that I could get winds aloft on the 496, where is that info ??

Bill

First, read the Book. Then push Menu twice, cursor down to weather, cursor right to weather options, then cursor down to winds aloft, then cursor right to altitudes and cursor up to altitiude desired.

First, read the Book. Then push Menu twice, cursor down to weather, cursor right to weather options, then cursor down to winds aloft, then cursor right to altitudes and cursor up to altitiude desired.

No thanks, I would rather ask someone that has already read it.

....and it calculates them, according to the manual, page 50, from what I gather, or maybe the higher priced WX sub includes that.

Regards,

You're right, it does calculate them, but that isn't what this post is about (I think). The XM weather "full" version gives you the wind aloft forecasts - useful if you don't want to climb to altitude to figure out what's there. I used them when I first got my 396, but then I started using Weathermeister for briefings, and got such a good picture of what is out there that I just never go to the XM winds page anymore.

Paul

Winds aloft on Aviator Lite

At the Millen, GA fly-in yesterday, Pierre Smith showed me the winds aloft matrix displayed on his Garmin 496. He has an XM Aviator Lite as do I, but, on my 396, I don't get that. It is not on the menu.

Anybody else using XM Aviator lite able to download Winds on a 396?

For what it's worth, the Aviator Lite subscription is not supposed to include winds aloft (see here for a chart of what data is included in each subscription package). However, I do know that the XM customer service people do not have, shall we say, a track record of 100% accuracy in processing subscription activations and change requests. So, if Pierre is really paying only $30 a month for the Aviator Lite subscription and he's really getting winds aloft, then I'd say he got lucky!

cheers,
mcb

Yep.....

.....I really get winds aloft on a light sub:)

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue..:D

Regards,

No thanks, I would rather ask someone that has already read it.
Too funny not to quote.

Jawbone & I were coming back from MAE when he said somethig about w/a. Until then I had no idea I could get that info. Looks like I need a sub. upgrade to get it.