Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Hey everyone, I have a Higher Power door being delivered in a few weeks and am hoping to install a few opening windows in it. Does anyone know of a good source for windows that are door appropriate? No need for dual panes or anything fancy, but I would like to be able to open then for ventilation.

Thanks

I have a Higher Power door - love it! I don't have any windows in the door or hangar, so can't help. I'm in Florida - I put split unit air conditioning in mine, no amount of ventilation will help in the summer here. Windows are just either a source of heat (summer), or a loss of heat (winter).

I thought you could spec those out when ordering so they would frame them for you, but if you didn't, it should be too difficult to fabricate the frames.

Pretty much any window the bits don't fall out when horizontal should do. I suspect where you are you don't have to worry about Hurricane wind specifications.

I have a Schweiss bi-fold door with cheap Home Depot household windows in it. No problems after 5+ years of use.

I like having windows for sunlight, but I have almost never opened them, as I find it's much easier just to raise the door a foot or two to get ventilation!

Window alternative

Now granted this hangar of mine is not on a public airport ( grass strip on my farm) and way out in the boondocks so security is not much of a concern particularly with a full time security system of 3 Blue Heelers ( with the captain of the guard shown here ;) )
I covered the entire bifold 60’ wide door with polycarbonate sky light panels. With it’s predominate southern exposure I have great natural lighting and solar heating.
The panels are available in several shades and milky opaque.
Regarding security of the regular steel panels routinely used for hangar door skinning their simply installed with common screws that remove as easily as installed . So other than prying eyes what’s the difference, in the public view use the opaque.

Attachments

• 901054AD-2831-4F35-AB40-92E38469C113.jpeg
    901054AD-2831-4F35-AB40-92E38469C113.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 119
Contact Jvon811 for details... lessons were learned but results were great. :)

Attachments

• door1.JPG
    door1.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 100
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 113
Sealing around windows

Von Flyer, when using metal for the door skins, how did you frame around the windows to make them water tight?

Have done a bunch of doors over the years. Instead of covering the whole door in polycarbonate have just covered the top half. Provides some security. Have also done a 3’ row on top. Anything is possible with tech screws and s channel.

Von Flyer, when using metal for the door skins, how did you frame around the windows to make them water tight?

Your local metal roofing supplier should be able to supply you with the correct trim pieces to do that - same as trimming around 'normal' doors in metal sheathed buildings.